Purchasing a Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple examples of the interior and the 2nd row bench seats I was referring to. The rest of the vehicle doesn't look quite as bad from the pictures provided. My other question is the wiring and how easily that can be removed or should it be removed at all?

View attachment 80322

View attachment 80323

I know those tahoe's PPV's lol. That's an EX-Chicago Police unit 24/7 beat car. I would AVOID those !!! Yes I have seen them go for CHEAP on public surplus.com, But after your invest $$$ its still a beat up city car

Take it from a guy who has owned over 10 x-cop cars in the past 12 years.

Get a county or state vehicle, NEVER a BEAT TO **** city car

I found one of the "Sources" for Welcome and Chicago motors supply and now looking at some CLEAN 09+ newer low miles PPVs for $6000-7000 !!!! :D

You REALLY gotta do your research to grab these trucks cheap.

Dave

SLH350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know those tahoe's PPV's lol. That's an EX-Chicago Police unit 24/7 beat car. I would AVOID those !!! Yes I have seen them go for CHEAP on public surplus.com, But after your invest $$$ its still a beat up city car

Take it from a guy who has owned over 10 x-cop cars in the past 12 years.

Get a county or state vehicle, NEVER a BEAT TO **** city car

I found one of the "Sources" for Welcome and Chicago motors supply and now looking at some CLEAN 09+ newer low miles PPVs for $6000-7000 !!!! :D

You REALLY gotta do your research to grab these trucks cheap.

Dave

Nice! Care to share? Haha. I see these Chicago motors cars pop up and I know they're grabbing cheap trucks at auction, fixing minor stuff, washing and waxing and increasing the sale price by a few grand. I know most agencies post on govdeals/gsaauctions/etc but I assume there must be other ways people offload surplus.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have changed the way they sell. They used to sell them out by the fair grounds without any online listings, now they list them on the surplus website. Keep checking on a weekly to monthly basis, they go fast.
If it's on the website, its an auction listing. I think they typically last about a week or so, highest bid submitted to the site wins.

All of the vehicles on the "A line" are 'buy it now'. When you are passing the surplus facility, the big lot is off to the left. The front line of cars is the A line.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's on the website, its an auction listing. I think they typically last about a week or so, highest bid submitted to the site wins.

All of the vehicles on the "A line" are 'buy it now'. When you are passing the surplus facility, the big lot is off to the left. The front line of cars is the A line.

Thanks man, I couldn't remember exactly how the new process went.
The A line is similar how they sat out in front of the lot at Blue Ridge & Trinity.
First come first serve, they go fast haha.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread here, but what would you guys recommend looking for when purchasing a 2014 Tahoe PPV with about 220,000KM? I'm in Canada and these are former OPP/Highway patrol vehicles.

When looking at the motor, would it be wise to look for excessive engine movement? Belts, pulleys? Anything else?

Additionally what would you'll suggest doing to the vehicle after purchase? Would the list below suffice?

1. Oil change
  2. Sparks
  3. Transmission fluid change
  4. Rear diff. fluid change
  5. Air & Cabin filter

Thanks in advance.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to apologize Aaron, that's why we're here. And welcome aboard, tons of info and some pretty awesome members to.

Being a state vehicle (at least around me) we have a complete history of what was done and when it was completed. While motor mounts seem to be a weak link, I would believe they would have been taken care of by the DPW for that district.

That's not too bad at all for mileage, roughly 136k miles.
I think you have everything covered that you should look at.
What I would add is check your brakes. One of my calipers seems to stick and I found that out when I changed my brakes, no pad left just metal to metal haha.
Other than that, you should be good.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@992dr thank you for the welcome and the suggestions - will definitely keep it in mind.

One challenge I have is that alot of these vehicles are purchased by BHPH used car dealers so you really have to do your homework as they usually don't provide service records.

I do enjoy wrenching and the fact that the trucks available are '14 MYs with higher mileage is a plus (so they can't have had too many problems).

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As @992dr stated, the mileage is pretty good on the one you are looking at.

Knowing maintenance history is key to knowing what you will need to tackle when/if you pick one up. Might be worthy to check on that, it could save you some money as some of those services could have just been performed. If there are no records to share, it certainly won't hurt anything to do the normal flushes and changes though.....it'll take away any question you might have about the condition of those fluids, etc.

The biggest thing I would focus on first is the removal of equipment from that service vehicle. Making sure holes in the roof and other body panels are sealed very well from the weather, checking for any removed wiring or even panels to make sure you don't have anything silly laying around.....like a stripped 12V wire dangling. Things should be fairly evident where there was once some sort of equipment. Not sure how "well" these service vehicles are put back together by you, but I think those of us with former NC Highway Patrol vehicles are pretty lucky....as they do a good job on these front line vehicles with removal/reassembly.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@RichardCranium , thank you for your suggestions too. I'm looking to purchase the truck in the next 2-3 weeks. The one dealer had a truck that fired right up and was parked outside. FWIW, the dealer plugged the holes and it has been raining quite heavily in Ontario but there were no damp smells or signs of leakage on the headliner.

Will definitely take a look for loose wires as you suggested. Thank you again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE