2013 PPV Lift Gate Latch INOP (FIXED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After Googling it, watching some videos and searching here I thought I'd post my experience with a photo.
The videos are mostly non ppv and the dimple in the interior panel is lined up directly over the latch. They show a button you push with a screwdriver after drilling a small hole in the panel.
This forum suggests drilling a large 1 and 1/8 inch hole offset to the right of the latch at the little circle on the panel and poke around until you trip the latch.

20240211_134331.jpg

I started with an 1/8 inch hole poked around trying to find that button they showed in the video, couldn't hit it. I next drilled a 1/4 inch hole and poked around with a longer screwdriver, even trying to poke directly over the latch but still no dice on this magic button.
I then drilled a big one inch hole thinking surely this'll give me more room to find it, shining a light in there didn't help see it either. Next step was my inspection camera and I still didn't see this magic button but I did see a silver lever on the side of the latch.
I pushed the lever and it popped the latch, so if anyone else goes through this, you're looking for the SILVER LEVER to push.

20240211_151649.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting your solution to your issue. Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

Please add the word "FIXED" to your thread's title, to let others who are experiencing a similar issue know that this thread has an identified solution.

Lee17758

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good guide! Just bought a '12 PPV and the department who ownded it before me already had the hole for me to pop it open. Now I just gotta figure out why the rear hatch isn't working!

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Googling it, watching some videos and searching here I thought I'd post my experience with a photo.
The videos are mostly non ppv and the dimple in the interior panel is lined up directly over the latch. They show a button you push with a screwdriver after drilling a small hole in the panel.
This forum suggests drilling a large 1 and 1/8 inch hole offset to the right of the latch at the little circle on the panel and poke around until you trip the latch.

View attachment 421301

I started with an 1/8 inch hole poked around trying to find that button they showed in the video, couldn't hit it. I next drilled a 1/4 inch hole and poked around with a longer screwdriver, even trying to poke directly over the latch but still no dice on this magic button.
I then drilled a big one inch hole thinking surely this'll give me more room to find it, shining a light in there didn't help see it either. Next step was my inspection camera and I still didn't see this magic button but I did see a silver lever on the side of the latch.
I pushed the lever and it popped the latch, so if anyone else goes through this, you're looking for the SILVER LEVER to push.

View attachment 421302
I’ve preemptively drilled that hole in the panel since the weapon locker would prevent doing so if the electric latch release fails.

OP
OP
Peacock

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I could've gotten away with a 1/4 inch hole if I knew what I was looking for with that silver lever.
My plan, once it warms up, is to pull the rear panel, unplug the handle switch and test it with a voltmeter, it should make a solid connection with the handle squeezed.
If it does make connection then I'll move over to the lock and power it with a trickle charger to see if it activates, if it does then move to the wiring bundle above the lift gate.
The rear window still popped open so I doubt it's a wiring issue, my bet is the lift gate handle switch.

Coolman1987us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I could've gotten away with a 1/4 inch hole if I knew what I was looking for with that silver lever.
My plan, once it warms up, is to pull the rear panel, unplug the handle switch and test it with a voltmeter, it should make a solid connection with the handle squeezed.
If it does make connection then I'll move over to the lock and power it with a trickle charger to see if it activates, if it does then move to the wiring bundle above the lift gate.
The rear window still popped open so I doubt it's a wiring issue, my bet is the lift gate handle switch
I tried opening my hatch when it was frozen shut. I didn't realize it was frozen and when I pulled on it to open I heard a loud pop. Now when I push the handle to open or try to use the auto open/close it just buzzes and won't open. It does unlatch though. My tech2 says it's the latch. Summer project.

OP
OP
Peacock

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed this and the button to open the rear glass, lift gate was the switch, ordered aDorman replacement off Amazon.
On the rear glass button the rubber became brittle and tore open letting the plunger fall out, again a Dorman replacement without rubber so that failure won't happen again.
All in, less than $30 bucks including a black plug from the hardware store to cover the one inch hole I drilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo