Purchasing a Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez, I guess I got ripped off paying 11k for my 2011 with 179k on it, 7 antenna holes, 3 water leaks and all the usual interior butchering. I have over 2k in interior parts and various knik knacks and its still not 100%. Fortunately it was from Arizona so no rust at all.

I'm in the process of replacing the carpet, drivers seat cover and cushion. I also replaced the dash due to the cracking. That was $400 alone. I'm buried in this vehicle now.

My advice.. Find one that was used for administrative purposes, detective, supervisor etc. unless you get it real cheap, so if you sink a few grand into it, you'll still be ahead.
Wouldn't say you got ripped off, you should still be well under MSRP for a regular base model for that year......as long as it didn't require any major work you should be happy!
I think I got a gem on e-Bay (Chicago Motors) for $11,495. 2009 former MN State Trooper vehicle with 120,000 miles and 6 plugged antenna holes. The back seat looked like it had never been sat in and had full carpeting. It did have some rust issues on the roof that I had repaired at MAACO. It also had some rust on the inside of three doors and rear hatch that I stripped, primed and repainted myself. Its a real beauty that's fun to drive and has been trouble free except for a lower ball joint repair that I also did myself. I wouldn't mind getting another one, black this time.

20161015_100745_zps6ri7ooci.jpg
That is the color of my LT I am trying to sell, anyone who likes that color should buy it! :)

Damn good looking Hoe! Great find.

We get some good deals in NC. Last time I went they were going for $6500 and in very good condition. Black and silver ones.

Mine is black, I wouldn't mind a silver or dark red like yours
Dang skippy! I recognize your screenname, possibly from other message forums. Ever on Horsepowerjunkies?
Do you happen to know if any of them are 4wd(SSV), I have to have 4wd, just wondering :)
"asking for a friend" lol

LiLRedWagon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the complement. When I first saw it I had to have it.
Sonoma Jewel Metallic is the color. I think I want to black out the grille.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang skippy! I recognize your screenname, possibly from other message forums. Ever on Horsepowerjunkies?

Haha, just popped on and saw this post and said to myself, "hey, where have I seen that screen name before" yes sir hpj.

Nice looking Tahoe

SLH350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We get some good deals in NC. Last time I went they were going for $6500 and in very good condition. Black and silver ones.

Mine is black, I wouldn't mind a silver or dark red like yours
Any particular source? I tried the state troopers surplus vehicles department but they told me they were fresh out of Tahoes.

badandyturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky in my search. I have a 2013 with 84K. No holes, rust, or damage. Got it from a fleet dealership in Kansas. I'm now at 100K and just did the brakes.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular source? I tried the state troopers surplus vehicles department but they told me they were fresh out of Tahoes.

No, state surplus is the location. The last time I was there they had I think 4 or 5 and one sold when were buying my wifes charger. That was roughly about 10 months ago.

I guess I got lucky in my search. I have a 2013 with 84K. No holes, rust, or damage. Got it from a fleet dealership in Kansas. I'm now at 100K and just did the brakes.

You certainly did, every one I saw had more holes than a peg board hahaha. Mine is rust free though and fairly clean. Yeah the drivers seat is torn and the back seat is pleather but with 2 kids and 3 dogs, I'm good for now. I'm planning on a new motor and trans in the near future as well as an update to the interior.

SLH350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No, state surplus is the location. The last time I was there they had I think 4 or 5 and one sold when were buying my wifes charger. That was roughly about 10 months ago.
Gotcha, I might try a few more times, it sure would be convenient. Otherwise I'll probably snag an Asia motors truck.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, I might try a few more times, it sure would be convenient. Otherwise I'll probably snag an Asia motors truck.

They have changed the way they sell. They used to sell them out by the fair grounds without any online listings, now they list them on the surplus website. Keep checking on a weekly to monthly basis, they go fast.

SLH350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score