Pete's (Now Nate's) 2003 Denali Budget Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sevenevez

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You talking about aerosol primer? Like the self etching stuff?

you dont need two guns, at all. you just change the tip depending on what you are spraying. if its clear or base i use the 1.3 tip. if it is sealer or primer or huge kandy flakes i use the 1.7 or the 2.0.

14776infoimage640_1.jpg

also, regarding the compressor. mine kicks in after about 7 trigger pulls and then pretty much stays running until i am done with the side of a vehicle. and it sprays very strong and consistent at 40psi at the gun regulator. so if you dont have enough cfm your spray pattern will not be as reliable and the last thing you want is to run out of air in the middle of sprayin a long line. the 21 gallon will likely start kicking in after your first trigger pull or two. i checked the specs on the 21gal. you might be alright but it is right on the edge if you used the Eastwood gun. But if you are using a cheap gun or even an Iwata or SATA or Devilbiss, those guns need 13 CFM! and if you dont have a 60gal beefy compressor, that presents the issue. Which is why i did so much research before going with my setup. If you are strapped and can only really do the 21 gal compressor (i assume you mean the harbor freight 2.5HP 125psi) then you are going to have to use the Eastwood gun. It's really the only one on the market that can spray great at low CFM's. Plus the sungle gun kit is only like $150 and comes with the 1.3 and the 1.7 bigger tip.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-concours-2-hvlp-paint-gun-kit-in-aluminum-case.html

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you dont need two guns, at all. you just change the tip depending on what you are spraying. if its clear or base i use the 1.3 tip. if it is sealer or primer or huge kandy flakes i use the 1.7 or the 2.0.

14776infoimage640_1.jpg

also, regarding the compressor. mine kicks in after about 7 trigger pulls and then pretty much stays running until i am done with the side of a vehicle. and it sprays very strong and consistent at 40psi at the gun regulator. so if you dont have enough cfm your spray pattern will not be as reliable and the last thing you want is to run out of air in the middle of sprayin a long line. the 21 gallon will likely start kicking in after your first trigger pull or two. i checked the specs on the 21gal. you might be alright but it is right on the edge if you used the Eastwood gun. But if you are using a cheap gun or even an Iwata or SATA or Devilbiss, those guns need 13 CFM! and if you dont have a 60gal beefy compressor, that presents the issue. Which is why i did so much research before going with my setup. If you are strapped and can only really do the 21 gal compressor (i assume you mean the harbor freight 2.5HP 125psi) then you are going to have to use the Eastwood gun. It's really the only one on the market that can spray great at low CFM's. Plus the sungle gun kit is only like $150 and comes with the 1.3 and the 1.7 bigger tip.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-concours-2-hvlp-paint-gun-kit-in-aluminum-case.html

That's a bummer haha

OP
OP
Sevenevez

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer haha

nah, its not a bummer man. and the money you are saving with that gun you can push towards the better compressor. once you have the correct tools, they will stay with you forever, or at least years to come. its a big investment up front, but just think, you can paint a vehicle from now on for only the cost of good paint. you can make ALL your money back by paintingone car for a friend. Trust me, the second anyone finds out you painted a vehicle, they will ask you how much to paint their car. its all i hear. and i am not a pro, just trying to help you get to where you want to be.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
nah, its not a bummer man. and the money you are saving with that gun you can push towards the better compressor. once you have the correct tools, they will stay with you forever, or at least years to come. its a big investment up front, but just think, you can paint a vehicle from now on for only the cost of good paint. you can make ALL your money back by paintingone car for a friend. Trust me, the second anyone finds out you painted a vehicle, they will ask you how much to paint their car. its all i hear. and i am not a pro, just trying to help you get to where you want to be.
Great advice.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hear ya man. It would be a lot easier if I had a garage..... And money haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts