Nitto 420s - Really that good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Any tires that are neglected with proper air inflation or lack of rotation won't last long period.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

Cupping is often associated with bad shocks or other worn suspension components. Any chance this was a probable factor?

Generally speaking, though, the tires don't seem like something I'll go for.

I do not think it was a factor with mine.

Any tires that are neglected with proper air inflation or lack of rotation won't last long period.

This is true.
I feel if I had them rotated they probably would have lasted longer. How long is the question.
As for air, I regularly checked and inflated if low.
It seemed that with these tires I collected more nails than my local hardware store.

JML07denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd set of 285/45/22. First set gave me 50k Miles. I love them! no cupping issues, tread wear is awesome and zero road noise. I rotate them every few thousand miles and my suspension is not shot. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd set of 285/45/22. First set gave me 50k Miles. I love them! no cupping issues, tread wear is awesome and zero road noise. I rotate them every few thousand miles and my suspension is not shot. To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i will say this: for the money, you cant argue with getting 50k+ miles out of nittos. i think i paid ~$170-180 per tire when i had the 421q and got over 55k. i kept up with the rotations and tire pressure because i was doing a ton of highway driving, over an hour each way to work and back. i just couldnt stand the constant road noise, i felt like i had to drown it out with excessively loud music haha

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A V-Rated tire (17"Wheel) with a 460 Treadwear rating? Hmm...

These are big car tires, magnets for nails and road debris. A long time ago seven tires were replaced on my truck in less than a year from road hazards. Switched to an LT tire and never got a flat or wrecked tire again. The 10-Ply tires I just took off my truck are full of nails but nary a one penetrated.

My choice for a highway tire would be the Michelin LTX in LT form of course!

CTLT13

Reaction score
295/35R24 Nitto 420's, have them for almost 4 years (27K miles) and still have 40% thread left in them. They are quite and rides well.

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been dragging my feet on buying new tires because I just don't look forward to dropping that amount of money. Tires aren't bald but I don't have long before they become a little too worn to be safe. Had been eyeing the Nitto Trail Grappler G2 because they get good reviews and, well, I just dig their look even though I don't go off-road more than a few times a year, and that's mostly just wet grass or hard-packed sand.

Looked again at Nitto 420s because I've heard good things on this forum and they're very sharply priced right now---only around $140 per tire (!). They're not AT tires but, again, I don't really need AT tires. But I do need a decent all-season tire.

Are these Nitto 420s really good to go through four seasons including moderate winters?
I must say I actually have owned both sets of tires and between them two brands I'd go with the general grabber . Don't get me wrong the nitto tires handle amazing in the rain but they were just too soft of a tire and wore out quite fast . At least for my daily driving . They were on an 02 Chevy Tahoe 275/55/20 decided to make the switch from street tire to all terrain just a few weeks ago . Got myself a set of 275/60/20 BF GoodRich and I'm never looking back !!!

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4315.JPG

ToddWalsh1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been dragging my feet on buying new tires because I just don't look forward to dropping that amount of money. Tires aren't bald but I don't have long before they become a little too worn to be safe. Had been eyeing the Nitto Trail Grappler G2 because they get good reviews and, well, I just dig their look even though I don't go off-road more than a few times a year, and that's mostly just wet grass or hard-packed sand.

Looked again at Nitto 420s because I've heard good things on this forum and they're very sharply priced right now---only around $140 per tire (!). They're not AT tires but, again, I don't really need AT tires. But I do need a decent all-season tire.

Are these Nitto 420s really good to go through four seasons including moderate winters?
I just got a set on my 2013. 24's best tires I've ever owned regarding grip, ride a little hard but that's probably because they are 24's. This is my 5 Tahoe/Yukon and these have the best grip of any tire I've owned on any of my 5 trucks.