Nitto 420s - Really that good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it matters but, they were 275/60/17

Drok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some 285 50 20 and they were great for the first 2k miles then got noisy and cupped out quick, which ive never had that issue with any other tire ive used.

Since we dont get moderate winters here(me) haha i swapped out the wheel for snow sets. I wasnt to impressed with them overall. But my 1 negative shouldn't stop you from getting them. I may have just had bad luck with the set i got..

I run the oe 15+ tahoe 20" tires (goodyear sra 275 55 20) now and they have been great even in deep snow. Few k on them and they still look new.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was something I forgot about, cupping. They did that with mine also and like Drok, I've never experienced that before with any other tires I've owned.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

Cupping is often associated with bad shocks or other worn suspension components. Any chance this was a probable factor?

Generally speaking, though, the tires don't seem like something I'll go for.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been dragging my feet on buying new tires because I just don't look forward to dropping that amount of money. Tires aren't bald but I don't have long before they become a little too worn to be safe. Had been eyeing the Nitto Trail Grappler G2 because they get good reviews and, well, I just dig their look even though I don't go off-road more than a few times a year, and that's mostly just wet grass or hard-packed sand.

Looked again at Nitto 420s because I've heard good things on this forum and they're very sharply priced right now---only around $140 per tire (!). They're not AT tires but, again, I don't really need AT tires. But I do need a decent all-season tire.

Are these Nitto 420s really good to go through four seasons including moderate winters?
I haven't read any replies yet but I had Nitto 420s for a few years and loved them in all weather. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I had them on for roughly 40k miles before I went up to 22's so no longer needed them and had a ton of tread left.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't read any replies yet but I had Nitto 420s for a few years and loved them in all weather. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. I had them on for roughly 40k miles before I went up to 22's so no longer needed them and had a ton of tread left.

I've read a ton of reviews over the past few days. From at least 50-60 reviews I've read, people who run this tire either rave about it or absolutely hate it. My best guess is that either the production quality varies quite a bit or their manufacturing quality has eroded over time----older reviews are very positive, whereas more recent reviews are decidedly negative. I believe that they are being discontinued.

All in all, I will keep looking.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems logical to me. I, too, have heard some having issues with them. Luckily, I never experienced the negative side :)

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not 420s like the OP requested, but i had the nitto 421q (285/45/22) for about 2 years. Got over 55,000 miles out of them with regular rotations before I had to get new tires due to wear. the outside tread had cupping issues (every other 'pad' was worn heavily around the whole tire?) and still had decent tread depth but the centers were past the wear bar (tire pressure always around 35). traction in all conditions was pretty good but they were REALLY noisy for highway driving. i ended up getting a price match on some bridgestone dueler alenzas and went that route.

huge fan of getting 55k out of tires but i hated the noise and was disappointed by the wear pattern. I think most reviews of nitto tires are similar, youll get high miles out of them but they end up wearing weird and are really noisy. i probably wouldnt buy nitto again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holzl88