Nitto 420s - Really that good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been dragging my feet on buying new tires because I just don't look forward to dropping that amount of money. Tires aren't bald but I don't have long before they become a little too worn to be safe. Had been eyeing the Nitto Trail Grappler G2 because they get good reviews and, well, I just dig their look even though I don't go off-road more than a few times a year, and that's mostly just wet grass or hard-packed sand.

Looked again at Nitto 420s because I've heard good things on this forum and they're very sharply priced right now---only around $140 per tire (!). They're not AT tires but, again, I don't really need AT tires. But I do need a decent all-season tire.

Are these Nitto 420s really good to go through four seasons including moderate winters?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody wants to chime-in, huh?

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure, but i just ordered a set. they should be here friday.

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which size tires did you order? And where did you order from?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
I had Nitto 420s and I really liked them, they handled great in all weather especially dry. They didn't last long, 17k miles for the rear and 20k miles for the front. BUT, that was from my neglect and not rotating them. Though I still think that's very short miles for such a tire.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I run these tires in 22. They are amazing even in the rain. They hold very well on turns and I would not hesitate to get them again. Plus the tread design looks great. Lastly the best part about them is that they are not directional. I cross rotate every oil change. Been running the same set for over 6 years now (swap them out during winter) No dry rot or cracking

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
I had Nitto 420s and I really liked them, they handled great in all weather especially dry. They didn't last long, 17k miles for the rear and 20k miles for the front. BUT, that was from my neglect and not rotating them. Though I still think that's very short miles for such a tire.

Either you beat the ever loving shit out of the tires or they suck ass.

Which is it?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either you beat the ever loving shit out of the tires or they suck ass.

Which is it?

I wish I could say I beat the ever loving shit out of them but, this was all regular daily driving. Roughly 45 miles per day and about 4 trips to the beach which was 2 hours each way. The backs were completely bald and the fronts weren't too far behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rcarew907