New Guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
Not a bad looking repair. Didn't even need to finish with the grinder to make it look good!
Grinding the welds makes them weaker so no grinding. I removed the old bracket, cleaned and prepped the area, but welding was done by a guy who builds race car chassis. When complete, I coated all the welded / bare areas with Eastwood chassis black rubberized encapsulator.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
Damn that's a sweet shop. Is that yours? Can I be your friend?
Yeah its ours. We are into cars and between 1998 and 2014 raced (and broke) quite a bit. I still do all of the maintenance on our vehicles, but leave the heavy lifting to others.

I'm currently looking to have the rear differential in the Tahoe rebuilt. The guy that did all our rear end work through the years, passed away, so I'm looking for someone local that really knows his stuff.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what happens, it is a U shaped stamping, forming a pocket with a single drain hole.
Liquid CC and salt graules get in there and just rot the metal out. Fairly heavy metal too, 10ga or 3/16” - the power of corrosion coupled with a bad design.

Well, mine has extra holes in it now. emot-laugh.gif

img_4358-jpg.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grinding the welds makes them weaker so no grinding. I removed the old bracket, cleaned and prepped the area, but welding was done by a guy who builds race car chassis. When complete, I coated all the welded / bare areas with Eastwood chassis black rubberized encapsulator.

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269