Help understanding the 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder53

Reaction score
So the engine in my Tahoe is a 01 LM7.

When i bought it, oil pressure was around 35-37psi warmed up. Then it was around 50-55 cold.

Oil presssure then began to drop when it was hot over the course of about 2 weeks. Lowest it got was 26psi hot.

Replaced the oil with 5W-30, oil pressure went back to how it was before.

There were also some metal spirals in the oil with some very small metal chunks. I am equating this mainly to the fact the drain bolt was severely stripped and the past owner replaced it with a 28mm aftermarket stripped oil pan bolt.

Engine runs absolutely flawlessly aside from what i think is some lifter tap/piston slap at a cold idle. It is so silent you can easily miss it though.

What happened for oil pressure to drop?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you just bought the vehicle? You probably don't know what oil weight was in it before, so maybe that's why the pressure difference?

Are you checking oil pressure with a mechanical guage? The cluster gauge is not too accurate.

But 25 psi-ish is not bad at all. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Especially since it seems like it runs and sounds good.

It's normal for oil pressure to drop as engine gets to operating temperature.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Sounds like you just bought the vehicle? You probably don't know what oil weight was in it before, so maybe that's why the pressure difference?

Are you checking oil pressure with a mechanical guage? The cluster gauge is not too accurate.

But 25 psi-ish is not bad at all. I wouldn't be concerned about it. Especially since it seems like it runs and sounds good.

It's normal for oil pressure to drop as engine gets to operating temperature.
Haven’t ran a mechanical gauge yet. I just picked it up in January and im still trying to understand it better lol.

I’m happy 25PSI is okay. I assume as long as its not reading 0 it should be ok.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Known problems with these engines are the O-ring on the oil pump, where the oil pipe that goes into the sump attaches.

These rings break down over time and then the oil pump sucks in air.

It always makes sense to replace this o-ring if you don't know whether it has already been done.

The oil pan must be removed to do this. Once you have the oil pan off, you should also replace the bypass valve on the oil filter. But otherwise I agree with the previous speakers, 21 PSI at idle with warm oil is okay and it is also normal for the oil pressure to drop when the oil gets warm. Mine is at about 50 psi when idling, after a cold start and drops to just over 20 psi in idle when the engine is warm.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might want to have an oil analysis done. Some of your descriptions make me cringe about the future if things are up above the oil pan are not copacetic.

cjmcglaughlin

Reaction score
My 05 idles around 30 hot, maybe around 28-30 if a really long drive. I’ve been putting off doing the O-Ring, but I suspect it’s either that or maybe the guage itself. Or it could just be wear, idk, I have 164k.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that would be scary (to me), every nbs I ever owned pretty much sat on 40 psi, except my 00 with a rebuilt engine that baby sat right about 70 psi 24/7
if you found metal in the oil pan (regardless of where it might have come from) then it might have got either sucked up in the pump or even the whole motor.
I would have a analysis done by blackstone, cross your fingers and go from there.
you might want to drop the pan and check that pump to see if there is metal stuck in it.
just speculation, it wasn't until I bought my 12 and saw the oil fluctuation 20~40 was a thing (now) but never on any of my nbs, I mean it might have varied slightly but not much

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So the engine in my Tahoe is a 01 LM7.

When i bought it, oil pressure was around 35-37psi warmed up. Then it was around 50-55 cold.

Oil presssure then began to drop when it was hot over the course of about 2 weeks. Lowest it got was 26psi hot.

Replaced the oil with 5W-30, oil pressure went back to how it was before.

There were also some metal spirals in the oil with some very small metal chunks. I am equating this mainly to the fact the drain bolt was severely stripped and the past owner replaced it with a 28mm aftermarket stripped oil pan bolt.

Engine runs absolutely flawlessly aside from what i think is some lifter tap/piston slap at a cold idle. It is so silent you can easily miss it though.

What happened for oil pressure to drop?
Mileage? Metal spirals? How small were the metal chunks? Pics? Had the previous owner just replaced the pan bolt?

My 162k miles 05 Idles at 50 psi cold and just below 40 psi warm. Climbs easily with acceleration. I have done the oil sump o-ring a while back, while pan was off. I just don't like the metal you found. Analysis is a must.

cjmcglaughlin

Reaction score
This is somewhat unrelated but how much driving does it take for oil to warm up completely for all of you? For example if I drive for only 20 mins or so my hot idle is closer to 33, but after maybe 30-40 mins of driving it’s closer to 30.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waiteben84

Latest posts