New guy 05 suburban z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

filthysuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey, new to the forum but have been lurking for about a year now. I got my dad's 2005 suburban about a year ago and basically it had sat in a barn for 6 years. 130k miles and shes seen some shit, the reason he parked it was leaky sunroof and some ridiculous quote to fix it. So me and a friend dropped the roof and all the plastic and in the back of the assembly there were 2 metal tabs just popped out and once popped back in the sunroof works fine (I never touch it though). Because of the leak the interior wasn't the greatest so I've done some upholstery, also the outside is plenty scratched from mountain roads with plants growing into them.
Hence the name.

Full list of things I've done:
fixed stuck open sun roof
replaced stock cracked mirrors with heated tow mirrors
kyb monomax shocks
all fluids
driver + passenger seat upholstery
rear calipers replaced
new instrument cluster
xm radio aux in mod
new battery
rear door struts
catch can
new water pump + thermostat + hoses + t-joints
new led brake light bar
oil pan gasket + pickup o-ring + block off plate

It had a remanufactured 4l60 put in at 75k (not by me)

So I was trying to get ahead of a couple things and get it squared away for another 100k or so right? Well.. maybe I should make another thread for the main problem but there's a few other little things:
There's an muffler rattle that sounds like a driveshaft about to explode at certain times. Seems like a resonant thing only happens at certain times, even parked.
Missing a couple manifold bolts. Can't see any soot or much else tho.
The power steering moans and groans but seems fine otherwise
The front diff on passenger side seeps a bit and also those transmission cooler lines.

But the real thing driving me up the wall now is this light tapping, It gets louder once the engine oil is up to temp. With a long screwdriver I can hear it in the block and also down the oil fill tube. I think this rules out the exhaust manifold (missing a bolt on either side). So did the oil pickup tube o-ring, twice because I thought that the black fel pro one (which used to be red) was wrong after reassembling it all and still hearing it. Now it has the melling green and I think I can safely say they're the same o-ring. To be honest all these jobs have been firsts for me. I've worked on many bikes and lawn mowers and whatnot but I should probably ask some people more knowledgeable than myself at some point. Guess I will pull the valve cover on the side I think is ticking next, I'll make a thread because I see the value in documenting this stuff. Really appreciate the forum, I couldn't have done much of it without reading here!

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_173658_683.jpg
    IMG_20231106_173658_683.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 9

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from WI.

How long has the ticking been around? Is it more pronounced on one side or the other? Have you crawled under and listened by the bell housing? Maybe you have a lifter that's sticky from years of sitting and needs the old Tennessee tune-up (MMO or ATF in the oil and drive it like a bat out of hell and get the oil pressies up and hot).

The other thing that comes to mind may be a flex plate that is starting to crack?

OP
OP
filthysuburban

filthysuburban

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@B-train
It could have been doing it since I got it, I do a fair amount of short trips. And it only really gets audible once it's warmed up. I've made a thread with more details and pics here:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum, with more to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel