New Guy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm welcome. For years this was our go to vehicle in the winter months and it served us well, plowing our long driveway and getting us pretty much anywhere we needed to go in bad weather.

As stated, the winter road treatments here in NY are brutal, especially since they started using the liquid calcium chloride. I've been able to keep the body in good shape, only 1 rust repair underneath the rear bumper cover, but the chassis and other underside stuff has been taking a beating.

These days, she is kind of in semi-retirement, gets driven a lot locally, but no more long trips and since we spend most of the winter in the warm weather, it doesn't get driven in the winter months.

This spring, I had to replace one of the front sway bar frame attachments (yes the piece welded to the frame rail), luckily, GM makes replacement pieces.

Passenger Side Sway Bar Frame Mount Before
Right Side #2.jpg

Passenger Side Sway Bar Frame Mount After
20230808_104628.jpg

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm welcome. For years this was our go to vehicle in the winter months and it served us well, plowing our ling driveway and getting us pretty much anywhere in bad weather.

As stated, the winter road treatments here in NY are brutal, especially in recent years since they started using the liquid calcium chloride. I've been able to keep the body in good shape, only 1 rust repair underneath the rear bumper cover, but the chassis and other underside stuff has been taking a beating.

These days, she is kind of in semi-retirement, gets a lot driven locally, but no more long trips and since we spend most of the winter in the warm weather, it doesn't get driven in the winter months

This spring, I had to replace one of the front sway bar frame attachments (yes the piece welded to the frame rail), luckily, GM makes replacement pieces.

View attachment 408916

View attachment 408917

WOW. @iamdub look.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
That's really cool that replacement mounts are available. When I was messing with mine, I noticed it was a spot that would retain water and dirt. Or salt, if you were so blessed.
That is EXACTLY what happens, it is a U shaped stamping, forming a pocket with a single drain hole.
Liquid CC and salt graules get in there and just rot the metal out. Fairly heavy metal too, 10ga or 3/16” - the power of corrosion coupled with a bad design.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is EXACTLY what happens, it is a U shaped stamping, forming a pocket with a single drain hole.
Liquid CC and salt graules get in there and just rot the metal out. Fairly heavy metal too, 10ga or 3/16” - the power of corrosion coupled with a bad design.
Glad to have you here!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Southern California! We love truck photos around here! Post some up of the whole truck when you get a chance.

My extended family is all in Vermont, New Hampshire, and a handful in Massachusetts. Every time I go to visit and see older trucks and SUVs on the road and see all the rust I think “man I couldn’t live here full time and deal all the salty rusty trucks…..” lol.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the warm welcome. For years this was our go to vehicle in the winter months and it served us well, plowing our long driveway and getting us pretty much anywhere we needed to go in bad weather.

As stated, the winter road treatments here in NY are brutal, especially since they started using the liquid calcium chloride. I've been able to keep the body in good shape, only 1 rust repair underneath the rear bumper cover, but the chassis and other underside stuff has been taking a beating.

These days, she is kind of in semi-retirement, gets driven a lot locally, but no more long trips and since we spend most of the winter in the warm weather, it doesn't get driven in the winter months.

View attachment 408916

View attachment 408917
Not a bad looking repair. Didn't even need to finish with the grinder to make it look good!