New 2-Dr on the Boards... FINALLY!! :D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97Tahoe2d4x

Reaction score
Thanks SunlitComet, you are THE information powerhouse in the forum here.

You're in Pittsburg? I'm in San Bruno on the peninsula.

Thanks again for the info & link!!!

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sw50sw8sw578.gif

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys...

Been wanting to update the thread for some time... Just got back from overseas a week ago and got a chance to drive the Tahoe around..

These are my observations:-

- The truck has been painted before in the two rear quarter panels, the driver's door and bonnet :(.
- The rear diff whines pretty bad when you let off the throttle at around 50mph, no clunking or slipping at all.. guess its bad bearings?
- The engine seems to be dripping from the timing change cover :'(
and finally..... HOLY RATTLE CAN BATMAN!!! - It rattles like theres no tomorrow. There is a dreadful rattle coming from what seems to be the stock intake box or somewhere in the dash ducting? Haven't had the time to look into it in detail yet but that seems to be the only loose part, and the rear tailgate squeaks a little too.

I set my expectations a little higher than this since i did not know what to expect.. My LandCruiser's don't have any of these issues even with the abuse theyve seen.

I really like the Tahoe and have always wanted a 2 door but i dont know if i were to keep this or get rid of it before its too late.

If i were to keep it i will need to get the issues addressed. I have already flushed and refilled the AC system, Put some dye in there too in case it leaks again but has been good for the past two days. I will also need to source a rear diff, if i were to change that i'll be better off to just locate a pair of front and rear 3.73s with a posi rear. Don't seem to easy in Orlando.

I will also need to get new shocks and a front end bushing kit since those could use a change.

I did some searching on the rattling issues and have ordered the metal dash screw reinforcements for now but i'm worried i will be facing many costly issues. The truck doesnt seem to accelerate right either, it could use a tune-up.

I have $6500 into it up until now including shipping to FL and registration.

Is the truck worth keeping?

Thanks guys

Moe

4myfreedom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my 2 door Yukon 153 miles replaced radiator doing tune up now belt tensioner, spark plugs wire, cap and rotor. Going to go with Hypertech thermostat now too. Getting around to exhaust/ Want high flow cats and quiet but growling mufflers

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

Hey a lot times you take on a restoration job! You have to have that implanted before you take on a truck like this

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!! And i wouldnt call my truck a messican truck!!! KPOD

peelerba

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys...

Been wanting to update the thread for some time... Just got back from overseas a week ago and got a chance to drive the Tahoe around..

These are my observations:-

- The truck has been painted before in the two rear quarter panels, the driver's door and bonnet :(.
- The rear diff whines pretty bad when you let off the throttle at around 50mph, no clunking or slipping at all.. guess its bad bearings?
- The engine seems to be dripping from the timing change cover :'(
and finally..... HOLY RATTLE CAN BATMAN!!! - It rattles like theres no tomorrow. There is a dreadful rattle coming from what seems to be the stock intake box or somewhere in the dash ducting? Haven't had the time to look into it in detail yet but that seems to be the only loose part, and the rear tailgate squeaks a little too.

I set my expectations a little higher than this since i did not know what to expect.. My LandCruiser's don't have any of these issues even with the abuse theyve seen.

I really like the Tahoe and have always wanted a 2 door but i dont know if i were to keep this or get rid of it before its too late.

If i were to keep it i will need to get the issues addressed. I have already flushed and refilled the AC system, Put some dye in there too in case it leaks again but has been good for the past two days. I will also need to source a rear diff, if i were to change that i'll be better off to just locate a pair of front and rear 3.73s with a posi rear. Don't seem to easy in Orlando.

I will also need to get new shocks and a front end bushing kit since those could use a change.

I did some searching on the rattling issues and have ordered the metal dash screw reinforcements for now but i'm worried i will be facing many costly issues. The truck doesnt seem to accelerate right either, it could use a tune-up.

I have $6500 into it up until now including shipping to FL and registration.

Is the truck worth keeping?

Thanks guys

Moe

Whether or not you keep it is going to be up to you... Honestly, I would go with pro-comp for any lift components, they've ridden the best out of everything myself and my buddies have had and wont break the bank. As far as tires go, you should be able to fit 33x1150s with just a little frame rub stock. currently i've trimmed my fenders immediately above where the chrome trim sits and that allows enough room for a 37 if I wanted to look into wheels with different bs (but i'm gearing up for a SAS). The rattling comes with the territory as does the squeaky tailgate. To fix the throttle response, you may try running a can of seafoam through your next tank of gas and possibly even a bottle of CD2 (or some seafoam) through your oil before you change it out next. If you are worried about the floor, the tell tale is going to be lifting the carpet and mat... and i've stripped a few interiors and will tell you now that its a pain in the butt.

Stick with it, you know as well as we do... they are a BLAST!

OP
OP
Blown3ur

Blown3ur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whether or not you keep it is going to be up to you... Honestly, I would go with pro-comp for any lift components, they've ridden the best out of everything myself and my buddies have had and wont break the bank. As far as tires go, you should be able to fit 33x1150s with just a little frame rub stock. currently i've trimmed my fenders immediately above where the chrome trim sits and that allows enough room for a 37 if I wanted to look into wheels with different bs (but i'm gearing up for a SAS). The rattling comes with the territory as does the squeaky tailgate. To fix the throttle response, you may try running a can of seafoam through your next tank of gas and possibly even a bottle of CD2 (or some seafoam) through your oil before you change it out next. If you are worried about the floor, the tell tale is going to be lifting the carpet and mat... and i've stripped a few interiors and will tell you now that its a pain in the butt.

Stick with it, you know as well as we do... they are a BLAST!

They certainly are.. I am still debating, haven't sold yet but could get what i payed plus some more.. The truck was a good deal and is clean for what it is...

Thank you for the advice..

Moe