Finally doing rear seal job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are the PPV 16" brakes. Had them for a year now and still love them.

Been just chipping away at this after work this week. Got the trans bolted back up with a new torque converter. Transfer case went back in with a new output shaft seal (89059495). There's a chance it all gets wrapped up tonight.
Can you post pics of the old seal so we can see how a "bad seal" looks?

OP
OP
Z

zissou

Reaction score
Are you sure you still have VVT enabled on that engine? The back of that cam says Cam Motion and I'm 99% sure they make only 3-bolt cams.

Hard to make out the specs but it looks like it might be their Stage 2 Truck cam based on the 212 & 220 that I can see - most likely the 'drop-in' version:

View attachment 419153

Yes, it is a drop in 212/220 version. The front of the cam is 3 bolts despite what the rear looks like. VVT was deleted.

Attachments

• PXL_20230129_215058202.jpeg
    PXL_20230129_215058202.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 5

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post pics of the old seal so we can see how a "bad seal" looks?
This was mine. The RMS itself probably wasn't leaking much if at all. It was the rear cover that was leaking so much. Once i had the cover off the gasket was so compressed there was no way it could seal properly anymore. New RMS and gasket has been on since June 2020 and no leaks. (Still need to do the front seal though. But rear bearings are more important now.)

Attachments

• Tahoe rear main.jpg
    Tahoe rear main.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 4

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was mine. The RMS itself probably wasn't leaking much if at all. It was the rear cover that was leaking so much. Once i had the cover off the gasket was so compressed there was no way it could seal properly anymore. New RMS and gasket has been on since June 2020 and no leaks. (Still need to do the front seal though. But rear bearings are more important now.)
Just like the VLOM gaskets that go bad. Very interesting. Appreciate you posting this and the pic.

OP
OP
Z

zissou

Reaction score

Same story here too. The RMS itself was probably fine, but the gasket was flat. I had a small leak from the cover gasket combined with a small leak from the torque converter seals. The transmission shaft o-ring (24219390) was rock hard and felt like plastic and the torque converter seal (24237531) had signs of leaking due to some grime inside the bell housing behind the torque converter.

Got the truck started last night and so far so good, no leaks after idling for about 30 minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo