Front End Refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Yes, the lift (8 yrs ago) in a new climate controlled shop at home (TX) was a game changer for me. No excuses anymore, except I'm no spring chicken.

I will be moving soon and I plan on getting a decent lift in my garage/shop when I move.
I've always wanted one and working on cars using jacks and jack stands doesn't cut it anymore when you're north of 50.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I got a scare the other day under my Tahoe. I had it backed up on ramps. Had the front tires blocked with wheel chocks, both of them. I was searching for a noise from the t-case to the back with my girl in the driver's seat power braking it. Not constant but periodic accel and then let off. I had worked my way back under the rear axle with the pumpkin just above my chest. She did a power brake and my G80 worked and both ramps kicked back and both rear tires had gotten to the apex at the top of ramp where it flattens out. If the ramps would have kicked out further and the wheels/tires went down the ramps, I could have had a caved in chest or maybe worse. In hind sight, doing that power braking on the ramps was not smart and if I did, the ramps should have been turned around. Then the tires would have had to jump the tall lip at the top of ramp.

My girl freaked out. She was telling me that she will not allow me to go under a vehicle again. I talked her down but she is not happy. I may have to invest in a set of those lifts that take them up, about 3 feet, and lock in place.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a scare the other day under my Tahoe. I had it backed up on ramps.
Had the front tires blocked with wheel chocks, both of them.
I was searching for a noise from the t-case to the back with my girl in the driver's seat power braking it.
Not constant but periodic accel and then let off.
I had worked my way back under the rear axle with the pumpkin just above my chest.
She did a power brake and my G80 worked and both ramps kicked back and both rear tires had gotten to the apex at the top of ramp where it flattens out.

If the ramps would have kicked out further and the wheels/tires went down the ramps, I could have had a caved in chest or maybe worse.
In hind sight, doing that power braking on the ramps was not smart and if I did, the ramps should have been turned around. Then the tires would have had to jump the tall lip at the top of ramp.

My girl freaked out. She was telling me that she will not allow me to go under a vehicle again.
I talked her down but she is not happy.
I may have to invest in a set of those lifts that take them up, about 3 feet, and lock in place.
Congratulations on not getting hurt. Go hold her close and make her happy.

OP
OP
donjetman

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock balancer bolt and tools are here, but other projects moved to the top of the list for now.
When I get back to workin on the Yukon, I'll install the pulley, new VLOM and gasket, and oil pressure sender.
In the meantime, we're useing it and its driving great. Got to get some new wheeels and tires on it soon. The chrome on the wheels is falling off.

Last edited:

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
Try doing it when you are north of 70, like me.

As it is, I'm only 13 years away from 70 and if I do a major job like a complete front end rebuild, I need a day of rest to recover.
Once I'm retired I hope my energy level actually increases but I'm not betting on it.

And, thank you for your service, Sir.
I never served but veterans like you are one of the reasons I continue to volunteer for Young Marines even though I no longer have a kid in the program. :patriot:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
This means wisdom is setting in. In my teens and 20’s I’d laugh at getting under a car until … the little neighborhood kid came over and started pumping the 1/2 ton jack while I was under the car.

He said he wanted to lower it to scare me!!!!!! Anything is possible. Plan for the fail and expect it. I’m glad this was just a scare and someone decided it wasn’t your time. Sorry, with the year rolling to an end you Sir are the luckiest person on the forum in 2023

I got a scare the other day under my Tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo