Front End Refresh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As it is, I'm only 13 years away from 70 and if I do a major job like a complete front end rebuild, I need a day of rest to recover.
Once I'm retired I hope my energy level actually increases but I'm not betting on it.

And, thank you for your service, Sir.
I never served but veterans like you are one of the reasons I continue to volunteer for Young Marines even though I no longer have a kid in the program. :patriot:
First, thanks @petethepug for the vote of confidence. My girl was looking at me funny because when it happened, I just started laughing. What else could I do. I "Beat the Reeper".

@Grady_Wilson, thank you for saying so about my time working for Uncle Sam. I appreciate it. There are quite a few vets here.

I knew that when I retired in March of 2022 that I was still gonna turn wrenches at home for the extra money. I don't take on any major work like engine and transmission swaps. I don't take on all under dash work that comes my way, just not bendy enough. I charge between $80 to $100 an hour and typically have all the work I want to do. I set my times when I want. I have a 2010 Honda Pilot in my driveway right now for work tomorrow. I personally like most front end work.

Something that makes it easier is some various sizes of 4x8 and 3x6 foam mats that my girl found. They are like a roll out yoga mat. About 3/8" thick and have a diamond plate texture to them. If I am going to be under the vehicle I can use 1 mat or stack more and get softer. I don't lay on the concrete. I can roll my floor jack on them and jack a vehicle up and I can set jack stands on them. They are soft. They are made by Performance Tool. Inexpensive and comfortable. I have mine rolled up and stacked at back of my tool box.

20231213_155258.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I will have to look into some mats like the ones you have @OR VietVet

After laying under a car for a few hours, the next day I feel like I got thrown off the back of a moving truck.
So those mats should help.
The mats are a life saver. The big ones easily slide between ramps when the vehicle is up on them. I roll them out and curl the ends so they lay flat. Then I roll out a second one and push it on top of the other one. It is like laying on a medium bed mattress. It/they really is a "back pain" saver.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
07 Yukon Denali
12/21/23
MILEAGE– 192,400
Started tear down to replace:
All 4 control arms w/ball joints, bushings, hardware
CV axles
Bearinghubs and bolts (3)
Innerand outer steering tie rods w/boots
Caster& camber adjusting kits
Rack& pinion bushings and mount
Rotors
calipersw/brackets
brakehoses
pads
View attachment 417081
View attachment 417082

do you remember where you ordered the caster camber adjustments parts kit?

I need to get an alignment soon, they look pretty bad.

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So is there a trustworthy kit with everything or was this pieced together one by one to go through the front end ?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’ve always found the vendors that put an entire kit together charge more than à La carte. Not sure why, but it would seem like they’d offer a better price for ordering more.

If you have the time and patience order individually and from different vendors to maximize savings and post cost.

VanillaGoorilla

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve always found the vendors that put an entire kit together charge more than à La carte. Not sure why, but it would seem like they’d offer a better price for ordering more.

If you have the time and patience order individually and from different vendors to maximize savings and post cost.
Generally, I lack the time and most especially the patience....LoL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk