Maintenance to do after picking up your "new" truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen pinned post on the forum about a maintenance guide for all the new owners out there, I figure maybe we can post preventative maintenance and how to videos for what to do with your new NBS.

I'll update this as more people comment their recommendations.

Engine
Start off with an oil change
Spark plugs and wires
Clean throttle body and MAF

Suspension
Check front and rear suspension
Shocks, bushings, etc.

Cooling System
Coolant flush

Brakes
Check brakes, replace if needed
Check Brake lines
Brake Fluid Flush

Transmission and 4x4
Trans pan drop, new filter
Flush Transfer Case

check all hoses and the belts, the ac belt likes to get beat up good. if its not cracked up you can wash it to help it grip better.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tune up is a given, new brakes if need be.

all fluids, rears, t case, trans pan drop and filter change.

check all hoses and the belts, the ac belt likes to get beat up good. if its not cracked up you can wash it to help it grip better.

coolant flush and brake fluid flush as well.

if you need brakes i just installed R1 concepts e line drilled and slotted set on mine, hands down the best brakes you'll ever own for 200 bucks shipped. i have a set on another car, only brakes im buying from now on.

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check brake lines, fuel lines, check out the front end, rear suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tune up is a given, new brakes if need be.

all fluids, rears, t case, trans pan drop and filter change.

coolant flush and brake fluid flush as well.

if you need brakes i just installed R1 concepts e line drilled and slotted set on mine, hands down the best brakes you'll ever own for 200 bucks shipped. i have a set on another car, only brakes im buying from now on.

check brake lines, fuel lines, check out the front end, rear suspension

Added both into the post

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id avoid a trans flush if the fluid is not red still.

if its brown and smells burnt, a flush could kill the tranny on the spot. pan drop is much safer leaving a lot of the old fluid. the old fluid is all thats making it move, flush it and it could die.

why it took me 6 months to find the one i got, they all had brown tranny fluid. and i was not into a trans job off the bat when they would not drop the price.

Puckrobber

Reaction score
Might be a minor thing, but, also check the tires. Remaining tread and air pressure. Don't want to buy a solid rig, only to have an accident due to one of them blowing out unexpectedly while driving it home, because a tire or two was completely bald.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is probably on the more OCD end of things, but get a good OBD2 reader capable of live data (like a Bluetooth elm 327 and torque app) and check your fuel trims and O2 sensors, check for pending codes. Might help indicate a new cat in your future. Also check I/M readiness to see if codes were recently reset for whatever reason.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys question for you, since it was mentioned above, what does it take to clean out the throttle body on a 2006? Is there a kind of computer relearn process that would require a tech II?

95escahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys question for you, since it was mentioned above, what does it take to clean out the throttle body on a 2006? Is there a kind of computer relearn process that would require a tech II?

If you remove it from the truck your good, if you clean it on the truck and open the throttle blade up you can throw the calibration off and you’ll have to do an idle relearn, and it’s best to remove it anyways so you get all the crap on the backside out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160