Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sombat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like the TCS traction control system is sensing something wrong and telling that brake to apply. Steering wheel position sensor could be bad?, tires aren't all the same diameter? I'm sure there are other possible things that system monitors.senses.
My TCS control comes on when I get a misfire in cylinder 2. When I replace the spark plug- it goes away.

All tires are the same. I’m sitting on the stock 20s

I’m definitely gonna look into the wheel sensor for sure. It only locks up when the vehicle warms up. After driving 10mins or so from a cold start, that’s when it does it. When the engine cools off, then it drives normal and then it repeats again

OP
OP
S

Sombat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
what is the history behind this?
happened after a brake job?
happened before a brake job?
please provide a picture of the caliper installed (if possible)
It started when I was checking my brakes to make sure they was good. Just a regular maintenance overlook.

I notice my brake pads had a hard impression on them so I replaced the caliper. After a few days, it started with this lock up issue. I ended up changing all 4 calipers and brake pads, and both front brake lines ( I assume it had corrosion in it). I don’t have pics of the newly installed calipers. All 4 calipers are Autozone parts. The 3 other calipers are good and in good running order. The front passenger front (the main one with the brake impression/the original issue)- I replaced that 3 times just to make sure it wasn’t a faulty caliper.

The hub is fine. The only other thing that I can think of is the wheel speed sensor maybe since it only locks up when the vehicle is fully at running temperature like the other gentleman suggested

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not know what a "hard impression" is, but if your issue is that brake is locking up when you press the brake pedal, say while almost to a complete stop then yes it is very possible the abs sensor is reading erratic, nornally that causes a "pulsing" in the brake pedal from the abs pump activation.
if you have a scanner that can read abs and live data then you can see the abs readings and confirm.
otherwise a replacement abs sensor is only about $20-25.
another option is to swap the front abs sensors left/right and see if the issue follows the sensor.
if it does then you know it is the sensor, if it does not then it could be the hub even if it feels ok.
could also be something else, but swapping the sensors cost nothing but a few minutes time.

OP
OP
S

Sombat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do not know what a "hard impression" is, but if your issue is that brake is locking up when you press the brake pedal, say while almost to a complete stop then yes it is very possible the abs sensor is reading erratic, nornally that causes a "pulsing" in the brake pedal from the abs pump activation.
if you have a scanner that can read abs and live data then you can see the abs readings and confirm.
otherwise a replacement abs sensor is only about $20-25.
another option is to swap the front abs sensors left/right and see if the issue follows the sensor.
if it does then you know it is the sensor, if it does not then it could be the hub even if it feels ok.
could also be something else, but swapping the sensors cost nothing but a few minutes time.

I did notice that even if I don’t drive the truck and I would have it running for atleast 15mins and I try to move my truck around in the driveway- it acts like it doesn’t want to move and I can feel the lock up

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did notice that even if I don’t drive the truck and I would have it running for atleast 15mins and I try to move my truck around in the driveway- it acts like it doesn’t want to move and I can feel the lock up
try swapping abs sensors

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it might be only mine cause it's an overly complicated truck, but I can see brake fluid pressure being sent to the wheels on the tech 2. is that something a normal truck will display?

I honestly have no idea what's going on with your brakes. what your saying makes zero sense in my head. if the old caliper didn't lock up a new one shouldn't either, there's not much to a caliper. as long as it's not hitting the rim, I got nothing. mine has almost no clearance, I used stick on wheel weights and it hit the brake caliper lol that was a wtf moment for a sec.

and you changed the rubber brake hose? cause that's all that really makes sense to the point I might change that one again if it's cheap enough.

OP
OP
S

Sombat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
it might be only mine cause it's an overly complicated truck, but I can see brake fluid pressure being sent to the wheels on the tech 2. is that something a normal truck will display?

I honestly have no idea what's going on with your brakes. what your saying makes zero sense in my head. if the old caliper didn't lock up a new one shouldn't either, there's not much to a caliper. as long as it's not hitting the rim, I got nothing. mine has almost no clearance, I used stick on wheel weights and it hit the brake caliper lol that was a wtf moment for a sec.

and you changed the rubber brake hose? cause that's all that really makes sense to the point I might change that one again if it's cheap enough.

This truck got me going crazy. For something that’s so routine, it’s becoming a nightmare. I changed both of the rubber hose brake lines. It has fluid going into the caliper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts