LS swap talk thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my good friends moved to either South Carolina or North Carolina he is by lake Norman where all the girls tan ******* by the bridge! Thats all I remember when I helped him move down there! Def let you kow when I make a trip down there! I did fill out a entry form to the Sand Hills Open Road Race in Arlington, Nebraska for next year! NO ROLL CAGE needed! I am assuming they will put me in 80mph Speed Trap Class!

I feel I did get a good deal on the motor But LAWD GEEZUS alot more money then I ever thought! I still can't get over the fact the cost of upgrading a True 350 SBC vs New Modern 350...LS Based Motors. Just burns me up inside how inflated prices are here in NY compared other states. I know you have to pay to play but dam I am paying LOL and no playing! This week I hope to get started on assembly finally my LS9 Cam and Components came in. Buying a harness is not cheap $800 plus...why not just swap in a 411 and run the 8 wires? Spend the money elsewhere? I know I sound like broken record...not necessary to bore this block out or forge them. There are ALOT...I MEAN ALOT of stock blocks putting out GREAT, RELAIBLE, CONSISTENT HP with a bumped up valvetrain and boost...just boost. I think investing bucks in a bottom end on non track car/truck is pissing into the wind, unless your juice.

I am choosing 60lb-er's seems what decent amount of people are doing with F/I kits. I am not sure what stock fuel injecter's can handle...but with a tune I can always go down on my N/A App. As of right now I am looking into if I need an FPR and what I need to run E-85 as a flex fuel. Might as well save some buck right and add some POW POW while I am at it. I think you need One Special Injecter and a Module to wire in. Not sure about if the our fuel pump can push it out of not.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, Lake Norman is west of me, about 3 hours. I'm in Raleigh. Sounds like I may have to take a trip out that way, hah.
Thats awesome. What are some things you're going to have to do be prepared for that event?
Do they do any kind of saftey checks? If so whats involved with that?

That absoluetly was a great deal for that combo. I agree, the cost of upgrades compared to the SBCs and LS motors are pretty drastic. You sure do have to pay to play. I would say the harness is one of the big purchases but, well worth it in the end. The ease of installation will make you thankfull in the end.
Hah, its ok. I have read up on several stock block boosted builds putting down 4 digit HP numbers with room for more. Also plenty of 5.3 doing the same. The 4.8 is now becoming more popular to.

Its better to be safe than sorry, especially if youre going FI. Pretty much every other build I have read up on has upgraded to larger injectors. A better more efficient fuel pump will also be in order. I dont think ours will be enough to push that much fuel. But, that should be on the list fo things to do.
You're going with E85?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, Lake Norman is west of me, about 3 hours. I'm in Raleigh. Sounds like I may have to take a trip out that way, hah.
Thats awesome. What are some things you're going to have to do be prepared for that event?
Do they do any kind of saftey checks? If so whats involved with that?

That absoluetly was a great deal for that combo. I agree, the cost of upgrades compared to the SBCs and LS motors are pretty drastic. You sure do have to pay to play. I would say the harness is one of the big purchases but, well worth it in the end. The ease of installation will make you thankfull in the end.
Hah, its ok. I have read up on several stock block boosted builds putting down 4 digit HP numbers with room for more. Also plenty of 5.3 doing the same. The 4.8 is now becoming more popular to.

Its better to be safe than sorry, especially if youre going FI. Pretty much every other build I have read up on has upgraded to larger injectors. A better more efficient fuel pump will also be in order. I dont think ours will be enough to push that much fuel. But, that should be on the list fo things to do.
You're going with E85?

I am doing nothing to prepare for the event except make a few runs early in the am when no cops are around!

As far as a pump you can add Bosch 044 in the line to help boost. But I WILL NOT be running E85 alot of work and money. Stainless steel lines, new fuel rails, injectors, new fuel pump, new tank or reline yours. I am starting to work on the motor today. Going to see if it is easier now will everything out to do SS fuel lines and brake line though out the truck.

I found a COMPLETE turbo kit for the truck at a home run deal...actually in my budget but I am just nervous about extra unforeseen costs as the drive train swap actually starts.

If my brother wasn't getting married this year....:(

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing nothing to prepare for the event except make a few runs early in the am when no cops are around!

As far as a pump you can add Bosch 044 in the line to help boost. But I WILL NOT be running E85 alot of work and money. Stainless steel lines, new fuel rails, injectors, new fuel pump, new tank or reline yours. I am starting to work on the motor today. Going to see if it is easier now will everything out to do SS fuel lines and brake line though out the truck.

I found a COMPLETE turbo kit for the truck at a home run deal...actually in my budget but I am just nervous about extra unforeseen costs as the drive train swap actually starts.

If my brother wasn't getting married this year....:(

Be careful making those runs ;)

E85 is very expensive. I dont even know where to get any around here. I'm sure if I found it, it would be quite pricey.
Hows the motor going? Definately do the SS lines with it out. Thats going to be awesome, great idea to.

Really, do tell more about this kit. I see what youre saying, better to be safe than sorry. Things always happen, better to be prepaired than starnded. If you can spring for it and still have funds available, go for it. Otherwise, some other deal will fall in your lap in the future.

Damn your brother, hah, j/k.

Did you bring your motor to a machine shop?

Later

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 PM ----------

i need to sell this tbi motor and go LS :think:

I agree. Nothing beats a well built/tuned LS based motor. Driveabilty, reliabilty and performance all in one package. Never mind the aftermarket available for them.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The build has seized to a halt bc of parts...a few but mainly the OIL PAN GASKET which is NOT included from my "COMPLETE" engine gasket kit from TSP (Texas Speed Performance) as well as the sent me intake gaskets for a FAST INTAKE (which I wish I had) but I do not. I need a few odds and ends but to much to talk on a swap thread compared to build thread.

I finally ordered my lokar dip sticks (eeek) and a few other things.
Turbo kit was in sight but then the better half found furniture (why do I work?)

E85 is cheap here in NY which Cheap and NY in the same sentence is hard to see but it is. Very few gas stations carry it but that is another topic for another thread. :(

With SS lines I don't want to bend them like I do with traditional brake lines I want SS lines Flex hose like I brake hose and fuel lines in CARB set-ups...some talking will occur. I said this before...I repeat after the LS Swap is done I am OFFICIALLY keeping the truck till I die...I said it way before...just solidifies it.

I am not posting links b/c it is still possible I might grab it...it is on PT.net hint hint. I have alot of time and money (money = time) into this!

DAMM MY BROTHER IS RIGHT ON MANY LEVELS...WE HAVE THE SAME BLOOD THRU OUR VEINS :(

No I have not had my block reviewed by a machine shop, why you ask?

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

2 words....

Fuel Injection

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

2 words....

Fuel Injection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019