LS swap talk thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbos arent cheap, but, the cold and hot pipes can be found for next to nothing. If you know what youre doing you can do all of that work yourself. Once you get into boost, its going to be pricey regardless. I would like to go with a Magnacharger but will settle for a ProCharger, hah. Maggys look so clean. I'll more than likely have better luck finding a used PCer on fleabay or in the classifieds of several other forums.

What have you gathered so far? What are your goals?
I'll be honest, my build is on the back burner. I have roughly $325 invested in mine so far. low mile 5.3 aluminum short block, complete truck intake manifold and bare 317 heads. This will be backed by either a T56 or TKO600. But, like I said, its not a priority right now. If I see parts that I need I grab as I go :) and store in my shed.

Great minds think alike on several thoughts, that was my thought on going forged. Do it right, do it once. Especially on modifying, ten times easier and 100 times more in gains. Exaggerating juuuust a little, hah.

What are Fails?

EDIT: Have you checked out Car Crafts "LS-Series Power" magazine? You should check it out, a lot of good stuff in it.

Fails= Equals Type'o = Rails as in Fuel Rails

Just food for thought...why are you hell bent on going forged when I feel personally it is not necessary. What are your goals? You know you can cut down your cost and parts hunt significantly by eliminating the T-56 and going with paddles with a PAC module, wires and few other items.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading it again, thats what I figured.Fuel rails.

Food for thought, I wouldnt necessarily say I'm hell bent on going forged. I consider it extra insurance. My goals are to have a reliable well built motor that I can dd, go on a road trip take it to an autox event and drive home without any worries. Now, I'm not saying that cant be had with out going forged, like I said, its extra insurance. Whats most important is the assembly of the motor. If thats effed, might as well ride your bicycle.
Though, I do know what youre saying and in all honesty, I have actually had thoughts of using the stock crank and more than likely will.
The parts arent as hard to find as you think for the manual swap. The cost of the said parts is not that much either. Of course it could be but using factory parts or junkyard finds are just fine.
I personally would rather drive a manual transmission than a paddle shifting automatic. Not feeling the whole paddle shifting crap, its just not me. If you couldnt tell, hah.
Goals = what everyone wants :)
What are your goals?
Spill the beans about your build. Whats up with the "Worked 6.0/4L80E combo"? Specs?

Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I need to edit my signature.

Since the LS based motor is the new 350 SBC, I assumed the cost in upgrading both would be equivalent. I thought 5k will build me a stout set-up with forced induction! Well I was wrong! Really I am only going to be swapping in a beefed up valvetrain. I was going to road race the truck and after speaking to a rep from SCCA I would need a full roll cage for the entire truck and it has to be welded in! GRRRR I wasn't looking to win ya know just someting nice to do. The Ms. and I, take a weekend off and go some place for a few laughs and some sight seeing. I would drove of course and she would navigate some how. But it would be great to hear commentary when it is all said and done. I would 3 camera set-up wired in. 1 inside the, one on the driver's side rear facing foward and front bumper. Figure I goose it on the straight away and on certain turns. But cruise most of the course. I would want to be the last vehicle to go b/c I am not looking to place anywhere in a Lowered Truck, riding on 22's. Just something different and fun.

My goals were 500-600 hp with boost.

I am ASSUMING, I repeat assuming that with my current build I am around 430-450 HP mark N/A. With boost I will be hoping over 6 now.

I have a list of parts at the house now, but I am away at work. I can not name all of them off the top of my head.

Upgrading the 350 is alot cheaper then a LS based motor. As of right now I don't have any regrets.

Just alot of little things that ad up. I do think if your vehicle is equipped with an LS motor from the start 5k will def get you boosted with great numbers. Just a complete gasket kit with ARP head studs, harmonic bolt, and GM MLS head gasket was around $650!

I did buy an LS motor but it happens to be the least desrible one's b/c the iron heads are pure crap! Really all my money has been sunk into the valvetrain. There are a few things I can skimp out on but I choose not too. This motor was running before I go it. I heard it. Just while it is out...new Water Pump, Oil Pump, Misc Sensors, Starter, A/C Compressor. Converting to the NNBS 34-36in HD Rad with E-fans.

Sad part is after 3 years of pursuing a boosted 350 I was only two weeks from doing thw work till the 6.0/2wd 4L80e fell into my lap.

Last edited:
OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the LS based motor is the new 350 SBC, I assumed the cost in upgrading both would be equivalent.
Hah, its funny. I thought the same thing.

I wonder why you'd need a full cage, its not like it would be a track specific vehicle.

My goal is in the same ballpark. Boosted of course.

I dont have a list, hah, I probably should though.

What are you doing with the 350 sbc?

Hell yeah the little things add up.

Is it an older 6.0? Thats whats great about the LS based motors, they are all (for the most part) compatible.

The crappy part about my build. I bought a bare bones short block. I have to buy another complete motor, strip it down clean everything up and swap it onto my block. Which really isnt a big deal, just time consuming.

Its kinda funny, I was thinking for about 2 years about doing a marine swap. Was very close to buying one, that was until I read about someone elses build. The power was not impressive compared to the work involved. Then I started seeing so much about LS swaps. My mind was set at that point.

I look forward to that ist ;) , if you like you can PM it to me.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I am little upset, guess they want a full rollcage in for the obvius safety reasons. All the videos they have are of people hitting trees or going up a bank and doing 360's landing on thier roof. I'll figure something out, need to something to see how the truck come's together. I have gone thru my drag racing days, a little bored of hitting the pedal, hitting gears, and holding the wheel straight. Need something more involved...

No need to PM the list I will post it. Just waiting to get everything...I want to post all the parts I got with part numbers with the explanation of why I got them. I find alot of threads to help my build but no part numbers. I am not trying to do a write-up or how to b/c honestly I don't know...just going to wing it lol

I would never buy a short block...all those little odd bolts and brackets missing just means head ache, time (time is money) & money to track down and replace.

I sold my Vortec Motor (130k) with worked stock heads (20k) for $500, sold my transmission, transfer case, transmission cooler, and B&M Electronic shift kit for 500. Just wanted them gone did not want to haggle with people.

For the 350 I have searched for a year for PSC-1 Kit with no luck, finally settled on a incomplete whipple kit. Just as I finished the kit a complete PSC-1 kit came up forsale. Bought that and sold the Whipple, starting hunting for a Marine and Coil On Plug Conversion parts. Just started seeing a few threads about the LS motor. Seemed good, I created a thread asking people with worked 350's if they had to do it all over again would it be LS or Vortec. Said LS, gave me a few good answers and some faith. Then the motor and tranny fell into my lap. So it was a message! LOL All my parts for the motor should be here next week the latest. I can start final assembely. I have a ton of boxes layed up so as soon as I clear them out I can order more stuff I think it will be a month before I tear in the truck.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its wierd though, considering they have different classes and different specs for each class.

Gatcha, lookin forward to "the list". Hah, I hear yah. I'll be wingin it to.

Hah, I didnt think about the little stuff. That was until I saw the bare block when I picked it up. But, that was the least expensive way to get an aluminum block. Still, buying another 5.3 and using the parts off of it, I still wont be in it too deep and, I'll be able to make some money back from selling the spare parts.

I've done the same thing. Just to get rid of it and not to hae to haggle, I'll sell it for next to nothing.

What truck is this motor going into?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMAG0263.jpg

Here is just a list no part #'s (possible might grow-eek):

6.0/2wd 4L80e with harness, computer,& MAF out of a 00 Chevy 2500 Series P/U that has 111k on it

Complete Engine Gasket Kit with ARP Head Studs, Harmonic ARP Bolt, and OEM Thick MLS Head Gasket

New Melling Oil Pump

New Water Pump (06 Sierra b/c needed the waterneck a certain way)

New Cam Sensor

New LS2 Timing Chain

New Coolant Sensor

Reman Starter

Starter Heat Shield Wrap

A/C Delco Plugs

Schoenfeld Conversion Headers

Grade 8 Locking Header Bolts

Reman A/C Compressor

Motor Mount Conversion Plates

New PRC CNC'D L92 heads

Used L92 Intake with all the goodies on it

90mm Drive By Wire (DBW) Throttle Body

Used Crank Pulley

New Stock Electric Fans (New) from 06 Sierra

New HD Radiator (New) from 06 Sierra

New LS9 Cam, LS9 Sprocket, LS9 front timing cover and sensor

Pushrod Length Checker

New 7.400" Hardened Pushrods

New LS7 Lifters

New Comp Cams LS HD Rocker Arm Bearing Assemblies

New OEM L92 Rockers and Guide Plates

411 PCM

****Transmission****
New Transgo HD2 Shift kit
New Trucool 140k Transmission Cooler
New 2wd Actuator
New Tranny Filter and Gasket
******* Converter...not sure which one to go with.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin truck.
After reading this I swung over to PT and saw your thread.
I hpe you dont mind me steeling some parts from your list ;)

As for converters, Yank makes some quality products.
Do you need the 411pcm, considering you have the harness from the donar motor?

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin truck.
After reading this I swung over to PT and saw your thread.
I hpe you dont mind me steeling some parts from your list ;)

As for converters, Yank makes some quality products.
Do you need the 411pcm, considering you have the harness from the donar motor?

Yeah On PT to help put finish the puzzel pieces. When I was SEARCHING forums I found alot of build threads but NO PART numbers and rhyme or reason why they choose that part. When thread is finished I will have part numbers and why I choose thost parts. I won't do a write-up but I will add a few tips or problems I came across and how I over came it. My 411 is not installed yet, but whenever I work on my truck nothing ever goes to plan, so rather be safe then sorry. I paid $1,150 for complete running motor, 2wd 4l80e, complete harness and computer. In Long Island, NY that in considered a deal. Motor are from 1,200 and Up transmissions are 500-800. I wish I had the time to go to other states where people have picked up complete running motors for as cheap as $8! When my buddy does all the wiring, He will make the decision on what is best to do! I hope he wire tucks it :)

You can steal my parts list that why it is there. My truck will never be a drag truck, just some fun here and there. If someone has the same goals as me thats 110% ok with me. I've learned alot from the boards and it feels good to give back. You guys are my pals :*) Sometimes I address you guys on a first name basis when talking about our Hoes...if I ever find myself down South I will be drinking beers and spitting on hookers with Adam!

I think the only thing I need to add to the list is 60lb injecters I will cross the bridge when payday comes lol.

FYI searched up Alum Blocks found out of people are lugging the block around with out any human assistance or a hoise. Very jealous and will be looking for one incase she blows!

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah On PT to help put finish the puzzel pieces. When I was SEARCHING forums I found alot of build threads but NO PART numbers and rhyme or reason why they choose that part. When thread is finished I will have part numbers and why I choose thost parts. I won't do a write-up but I will add a few tips or problems I came across and how I over came it. My 411 is not installed yet, but whenever I work on my truck nothing ever goes to plan, so rather be safe then sorry. I paid $1,150 for complete running motor, 2wd 4l80e, complete harness and computer. In Long Island, NY that in considered a deal. Motor are from 1,200 and Up transmissions are 500-800. I wish I had the time to go to other states where people have picked up complete running motors for as cheap as $8! When my buddy does all the wiring, He will make the decision on what is best to do! I hope he wire tucks it :)

You can steal my parts list that why it is there. My truck will never be a drag truck, just some fun here and there. If someone has the same goals as me thats 110% ok with me. I've learned alot from the boards and it feels good to give back. You guys are my pals :*) Sometimes I address you guys on a first name basis when talking about our Hoes...if I ever find myself down South I will be drinking beers and spitting on hookers with Adam!

I think the only thing I need to add to the list is 60lb injecters I will cross the bridge when payday comes lol.

FYI searched up Alum Blocks found out of people are lugging the block around with out any human assistance or a hoise. Very jealous and will be looking for one incase she blows!

I see that quite often to, people pick parts without doing any research. Then they end up selling those parts for less just to get the parts the should've bought in the first place.
I look forward to your updates. You'll have just enough info to get people going.
I hear yah when you talk about things not going right. Thats ussually the way it goes with me to, though the last few times I've worked on the Hoe, it went rather smooth, suprisingly so, hah.
That was a smokin deal you got for the motor/tranny. There is a guy in TX that sells LS motors for short money, if he's still doing it. I'll have to see if I can find that info, not like you need it, hah. Ebay has been my shopping center for motors, they have had some decent deals. I frequent a local forum for parts to.
Thats cool you have a freind to do the wiring, save a bundle that way. I'll more than likely buy a harness/stand alone set-up.

You certainly do learn a lot from the forums. I appreciate you doing what you are doing, it definately helps out.
Hah, if youre ever in NC, drop me a line. I'm a Guinness fan myself. Not sure if there are any hookers around here but, I'm sure we can find something or someone else to spit at or on, hah.

60lbers, nice. It'll be some time before Im at that point.

That was my reasoning for an aluminum block. If I remember correctly, they are roughly 85 pounds lighter than an iron block. The only downfall with the aluminum block is they cant be bored as much, if so, I would need to re-sleeve it. But, I'm not planning on doing anything drastic. Like you, I want a reliable fun to drive truck.
Yup, its true, they are easy to transport to ;) .
Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn