LS swap talk thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should clarify this (and meant to post this in my last post) and base it on the comparison of the 5.3 and L31. Not "any SBC/BBC".

My plans. Going forged and boosted. Let me also clarify that I am not in any rush to build this. I dont care if it takes me 6 months or 6 years. Like blackcoffee said "until then, I'll be enjoying my L31 with my FLT/Yank tranny"
I'm in no rush:)

I see what you were getting at now. I agree and if I knew 10 years ago what I know now I would've held out for a 95 truck or Suburban. New interior with a TBI engine that is much easier to upgrade IMO. That or a 96 and up big block with a conventional injection setup and tons of torque.

:cheers:

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what you were getting at now. I agree and if I knew 10 years ago what I know now I would've held out for a 95 truck or Suburban. New interior with a TBI engine that is much easier to upgrade IMO. That or a 96 and up big block with a conventional injection setup and tons of torque.

:cheers:

If I knew what I know now 5 years ago, with the money I have invested in my truck, I could've had a pretty stout LS based motor in my Hoe.

Eh, you live and you learn, hah.
I'm still going to enjoy my Hoe as it sits now.

rabbiporkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not necessary to run 2 pcms when you do your swap, although it is a bit easier if you do. All the wires running to your obd1 computer can be spliced into your obd2 computer as long as you have the pinouts. The reason many people run 2 computers, is because it simplifies the wiring process, because the new computer can be made to run the engine with just a few wires powered up, and leaving the old computer to run the guages. I will be doing the 2 computer setup until I have a chance to build a complete harness for my truck, then I'll rip everything out and redo the whole thing right. It is quick and easy to do the 2 computer setup, but it will look a lot cleaner if you take the time to remove the old one, mount the new one behind the glovebox, and splice all necessary old wires into the new computer.

sorry old thread

Last edited:

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why go forged?

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

If you really have your het set on BIG BOOST forget the 5.3 or 6.0L. Alot of people running 4.8L V8 with a nice turbo set up well into the 8's. Alot of TBSS owners who are serious about performance are selling thier drivetrains for the option of the 4.8L. If she blows...guess what another $375-400 you got yourself another complere motor with accoessories.

They do make painless wiring harnesses for 700-800 bucks. I think it is cheaper to pay someone to mate the two harness's together. If you have done the 411 swap your are 6 wires away :)

Switch from a Elec TB to a DBW is easy...very little money involved. More to convert from DBW to electronic b/c of modules and a pedal. NOT A FAN OF ELECTRIC DRIVETRAIN parts...next thing you know your on TV b/c your 600hp 5klb Hoe can't stop b/c your TB is faulty.

If you are swapping in a LS motor...better throw an 80e behind it!

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really??? A lot of TBSS owners are ditching the ls2? Funny I have a TBSS and am on tbssowners.com and I've only seen one person with a 5.3 in place of the ls2. That was because he popped the motor. And the 5.3 has dished pistons versus the flat top of the 4.8. If I was building a boosted motor I'd build a 5.3. More CI lower compression and very proven block on performancetrucks.net

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really??? A lot of TBSS owners are ditching the ls2? Funny I have a TBSS and am on tbssowners.com and I've only seen one person with a 5.3 in place of the ls2. That was because he popped the motor. And the 5.3 has dished pistons versus the flat top of the 4.8. If I was building a boosted motor I'd build a 5.3. More CI lower compression and very proven block on performancetrucks.net

I have read somewhere on a creditable forum...You don't have to have a fast truck to be on a forum.

Here is a video of stock 4.8 with boost :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9nRm6vZl_I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why go forged?

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

If you really have your het set on BIG BOOST forget the 5.3 or 6.0L. Alot of people running 4.8L V8 with a nice turbo set up well into the 8's. Alot of TBSS owners who are serious about performance are selling thier drivetrains for the option of the 4.8L. If she blows...guess what another $375-400 you got yourself another complere motor with accoessories.

They do make painless wiring harnesses for 700-800 bucks. I think it is cheaper to pay someone to mate the two harness's together. If you have done the 411 swap your are 6 wires away :)

Switch from a Elec TB to a DBW is easy...very little money involved. More to convert from DBW to electronic b/c of modules and a pedal. NOT A FAN OF ELECTRIC DRIVETRAIN parts...next thing you know your on TV b/c your 600hp 5klb Hoe can't stop b/c your TB is faulty.

If you are swapping in a LS motor...better throw an 80e behind it!

Why forged? Why not?
I see what youre saying about the 4.8. It seems to be getting a lot of attention compared to the 5.3 and 6.0. Though I'm not sure on how many are swapping their 5.3s or 6.0s for a 4.8. From visiting several forums myself, I dont see many 4.8 swaps going especially. I have seen a few but not many. I certainly havent seen any swapping the 5.3 or 6.0 for a 4.8. But, maybe I'm not focusing on them.

Also a well built 4L60E will and does handle the power just fine. Its all in who builds it, period. Not saying I dont agree about the 80E, I'm saying that there are plenty of 60Es making huge power and running 8s in the 1/4 and living to tell the story. Its all in who builds it.
Personally, I'd prefer a T56 or even TKO600.

I have read somewhere on a creditable forum...You don't have to have a fast truck to be on a forum.

Here is a video of stock 4.8 with boost :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9nRm6vZl_I&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Its true, you dont.

Have you seen the stock LS1 boosted making 1000HP? Pretty nutty.

If this is all based on the cost factor, I see where youre coming from. All valid and very good info.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People are not swapping in 4.8L b/c of money. Turbo set-ups are not cheap! :(
I'll have about $4-5k in my swap that is with bargain hunting and buying a combination of used, discounted, and oem parts. My mentality is do it right...do it once. It is hell of alot easier exspecially on LS based engines to modify them out of the bay.

Just swapping UIM, Injectors, Fails, and TB on a LS motor in the bay is about 3.5 hr job on the books :(

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbos arent cheap, but, the cold and hot pipes can be found for next to nothing. If you know what youre doing you can do all of that work yourself. Once you get into boost, its going to be pricey regardless. I would like to go with a Magnacharger but will settle for a ProCharger, hah. Maggys look so clean. I'll more than likely have better luck finding a used PCer on fleabay or in the classifieds of several other forums.

What have you gathered so far? What are your goals?
I'll be honest, my build is on the back burner. I have roughly $325 invested in mine so far. low mile 5.3 aluminum short block, complete truck intake manifold and bare 317 heads. This will be backed by either a T56 or TKO600. But, like I said, its not a priority right now. If I see parts that I need I grab as I go :) and store in my shed.

Great minds think alike on several thoughts, that was my thought on going forged. Do it right, do it once. Especially on modifying, ten times easier and 100 times more in gains. Exaggerating juuuust a little, hah.

Just swapping UIM, Injectors, Fails, and TB on a LS motor in the bay is about 3.5 hr job on the books

What are Fails?

EDIT: Have you checked out Car Crafts "LS-Series Power" magazine? You should check it out, a lot of good stuff in it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019