Looking to buy a Tahoe. Which is the better scenario?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Thanks Diver and Dub for the info. This is my top prospect right now:

2007 Tahoe 4x4 LT 5.3L - $11k
- 162k Miles
- Black Leather interior
- New brakes in 2017
- New battery in 2016
- Oil changes all at dealership
- 2 owners
- Recently checked over at dealership, no concerns noted

Anything specific I should ask the seller? It's about 3 hours from me so I want to make sure everything checks out verbally before I make the drive. He gave me the VIN so I can look up the records.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thanks Diver and Dub for the info. This is my top prospect right now:

2007 Tahoe 4x4 LT 5.3L - $11k
- 162k Miles
- Black Leather interior
- New brakes in 2017
- New battery in 2016
- Oil changes all at dealership
- 2 owners
- Recently checked over at dealership, no concerns noted

Anything specific I should ask the seller? It's about 3 hours from me so I want to make sure everything checks out verbally before I make the drive. He gave me the VIN so I can look up the records.

Where are you Jordan? Price seems high for the miles.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
Hey Nate, Northern California. Ya, I see deals in places like AZ and TX for a couple grand less from what I see in CA. I'm pretty sure I could get it for 10k though.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hey Nate, Northern California. Ya, I see deals in places like AZ and TX for a couple grand less from what I see in CA. I'm pretty sure I could get it for 10k though.

Less than 10k is better, but still 160k...are you opposed to traveling to get one, as in, flying out and driving back? Even if that's not an option, take a look at Laura GMC for comparison sake. I'm in Chicago where everybody and their mother has/wants these and I could spend that on one with closer to 100k all day, every day.
I'm not trying to discourage your purchase, just seems high to me for the miles. Does that truck have AFM? Has the trans ever been serviced?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decode the VIN at Compnine.com to see if it has all the features you want. You'll want to see the service records, the driveline fluids should all have been changed at least once already, same with the plugs and wires. Make sure all functions of the AC and Fan settings work, front and rear. Check and operate every feature, including the cruise control. Get familiar with the proper way to put the transfer case in 4LO and Neutral so you can test those features out too. See how the AFM system works with it going in and out of V4 mode. Note average mileage on the DIC, could be a sign of a problem. Check for rust, operate the spare tire hoist!

That price and mileage would be right at home in the more populated cities throughout Florida. I bought mine out of North Carolina and saved $5k plus I got 4WD, 95 in 100 at the time were 2WD and the other 5 junk or too mucho.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a list of all the options included under the VIN you entered.

For the location, my guess is the price is probably fair dependent upon the Tahoe's condition, but there's likely room to haggle.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, many times we find them priced low but they are the lower tier models. I like the ones with more bells and whistles, generally. If you like it, buy it. Looks similar to Chris' Tahoe but his is an 2WD LTZ.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh- main points to check out...

AFM: Press the top button on the DIC controls until the DIC displays the average MPG and cylinder mode. When test driving, roll steadily about 15-20 MPH and see when it goes into V4 mode if you feel anything odd. Then, slow to a stop as if you were at a stop sign and see if there's a shudder/vibration just before it goes back into V8 mode (it idles in V8, not V4).

Engine mount (driver's side): Firmly hold the brake with your left foot with the gear seletor in "D" and sharply hit the pedal to about 1/3-1/2 throttle and sharply release. See if you feel a bump and/or hear a clunk when applying and releasing the throttle. This is the left side of the engine lifting and extending the mount to it's maximum when under throttle then bumping back down, compressing the blown mount when off throttle.

4WD: Learn operation as James said. Engage and feel and listen for vibes and/or noises. Preferable to test on dirt/grass.

Note oil pressure, any warning lights/messages on the cluster, any leaks, etc... The usual when inspecting a used car.

OP
OP
zwanzon

zwanzon

Reaction score
So I'll be looking at the Tahoe I mentioned above this Friday. The current owner has been extremely helpful, giving me all the maintenance records and mileages. This thing has had everything done at the dealership (oil changes, etc). Both motor mounts were just replaced at 145k. Transmission flush and service, 4x4 transfer case service and flush, fuel injection flush and service, removed and replace t/case module (?) were all just completed at 161k. This Tahoe has really been taken care of. As everyone has mentioned in this thread, a well-maintained Tahoe trumps mileage, so I'm not afraid of the 162k odometer. Hopefully I'll be posting pictures of "my new Tahoe" in a couple days. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in on this thread with advice. Wish me luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz