leveling kit, rough ride & still rubbing with 33s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate a little more? What do you mean by 24" and 24"? My tires are actually 275/70R/18s, I had it incorrect in my previous post. Would a different size wheel make a difference with this tire?

The roads are rough here too...I live in DFW and there is constant road work.
Ooh haha i thought you were on 28" inch rims. What is the ply rating and air pressure in your tires?

OP
OP
P

paintpollz

Reaction score
Thats your rough ride right their! Try running them down to 30psi!
10 plys are for 1tons lol

Haha understood. But what about everyone else that is running 33s on 1/2 tons? Aren't most of them E rated?

I went with the BFG A/Ts because of reputation, and I've had smaller sizes on smaller SUVs and they've been great tires. Now that I have this Tahoe and wanted to run a little lift with some bigger tires, I ended up with a truck that sounds it's getting shot at when it goes over a bump. And then it feels like an earthquake.

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha understood. But what about everyone else that is running 33s on 1/2 tons? Aren't most of them E rated?

I went with the BFG A/Ts because of reputation, and I've had smaller sizes on smaller SUVs and they've been great tires. Now that I have this Tahoe and wanted to run a little lift with some bigger tires, I ended up with a truck that sounds it's getting shot at when it goes over a bump. And then it feels like an earthquake.

You may simply be running out of suspension travel. Cheap spacer lifts like that simply trade droop for static height. I don't remember what the droop stop is like on the NNBS but you could see if you notice any increased wear there. If you are bottoming out on the droop stop often then that is your issue with ride quality. You could run new arms designed for lifts with increased travel in mind and that may alleviate the problem, or you need a drop bracket style lift to return lost suspension travel.

Last edited:

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I run 33" red letter grabber's in the winter on the HOE, 10plys and 50psi. Rides like a lumber wagon.. but im used to it.. my other "summer "vehicle is a lumber wagon hehe
Edit:

IMG_0259.JPG
:win:

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd imagine lots are running a D code tire for most lifted pavement queens. Seems silly to run a super stiff sidewall for something that isn't going to see any rocks or heavy towing to me.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats your rough ride right their! Try running them down to 30psi!
10 plys are for 1tons lol

I've got 10-ply 305/55s running 40-44 psi and it's not that bad. Not that different than the stock tires. I'd guess it was bottoming out the travel or maybe you've just got to get used to it.

OP
OP
P

paintpollz

Reaction score
You may simply be running out of suspension travel. Cheap spacer lifts like that simply trade droop for static height. I don't remember what the droop stop is like on the NNBS but you could see if you notice any increased wear there. If you are bottoming out on the droop stop often then that is your issue with ride quality. You could run new arms designed for lifts with increased travel in mind and that may alleviate the problem, or you need a drop bracket style lift to return lost suspension travel.

Thank you for the explanation, this is very thorough and helpful to me. I will look into this more.

I run 33" red letter grabber's in the winter on the HOE, 10plys and 50psi. Rides like a lumber wagon.. but im used to it.. my other "summer "vehicle is a lumber wagon hehe
Edit:

Nice looking truck!

I'd imagine lots are running a D code tire for most lifted pavement queens. Seems silly to run a super stiff sidewall for something that isn't going to see any rocks or heavy towing to me.

Aren't most 33s E rated?

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 10-ply 305/55s running 40-44 psi and it's not that bad. Not that different than the stock tires. I'd guess it was bottoming out the travel or maybe you've just got to get used to it.

I run 10ply Superswamper 35x12.5r20 @ 55psi on my OBS yukon.. no complaits here.. but they do have spongy sidewalls.. i know from experience BFG's are one hell of a stiff tire aswell as the Redletter's paintpollz is probably used to the cushy ride of the 6plys that were on it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick