Replacement front struts causing rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lenscap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all! New member here…

We bought a 2017 Yukon XL SLT about 2 yrs ago. I recently replaced front strut assemblies and rear shocks/springs. Since then we’ve noticed the front tires rubbing here and there during certain turn/brake combinations. I have also noticed a bit more rake where the front sits a couple inches lower than the rear.

The front struts were purchased from RockAuto. I went for the Original Quality Front 4WD options and picked the Gabriel G57023 strut assembly as the GMs were out of stock at the time.

Rear shocks purchased: GM 560-1036
Rear springs purchased: GM 23154238
These appear to be right for ZW7.

Note, The previous owner (2nd owner) installed the GM snowflake 22” wheels after she bought it. The GM sticker in the drivers door jam reflects 18” wheels. I assume she left the suspension factory.

We never witnessed the tire rub before changing the struts and it seemed more level (less rake).

Glovebox codes include 6SH, ZW7.

Can someone tell me which front strut assemblies I need to make this right?

Before and after strut replacement pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 7

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

We bought a 2017 Yukon XL SLT about 2 yrs ago. I recently replaced front strut assemblies and rear shocks/springs. Since then we’ve noticed the front tires rubbing here and there during certain turn/brake combinations. I have also noticed a bit more rake where the front sits a couple inches lower than the rear.

The front struts were purchased from RockAuto. I went for the Original Quality Front 4WD options and picked the Gabriel G57023 strut assembly as the GMs were out of stock at the time.

Note, The previous owner (2nd owner) installed the GM snowflake 22” wheels after she bought it. The GM sticker in the drivers door jam reflects 18” wheels. I assume she left the suspension factory.

We never witnessed the tire rub before changing the struts and it seemed more level (less rake).

Have you had it aligned since swapping out the struts?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

you replaced the struts? or had a shop do it?
it sounds like it may have had a leveling kit which could have been left off when the new struts were installed
a leveling kit is basically a piece of steel in 1" or 1 1/2" or 2" thickness that would be placed usually under the strut mount giving a little more height.
this creates a more level (less rake) appearance and can help prevent tire rub.

Silverado4x4

Reaction score
The size of the rim doesn't really matter since its a GM rim with proper offset it's the tire size is what matters, what size tires are on there now? From the first picture it does appear there was a leveling kit on the front but hard to tell from the picture angle. As said above a leveling kit consists off a block either above the strut mount or under the strut. If you had a shop do it then they didn't reinstall the leveling blocks off the old struts. A top mount spacer attaches to the strut and could have been missed when they were removed and still on the old struts.

Last edited:

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I had a similar experience but on a different platform. I replaced the strut assemblies on our Envoy only to learn the spring rate was different than original causing the front to have a lower ride height. Needed my original springs or the correct replacement springs. It seems this is the case with some aftermarket strut assemblies.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not put this in the "correct" model years section? You'll get the best answers there.

OP
OP
L

Lenscap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
you replaced the struts? or had a shop do it?
it sounds like it may have had a leveling kit which could have been left off when the new struts were installed
a leveling kit is basically a piece of steel in 1" or 1 1/2" or 2" thickness that would be placed usually under the strut mount giving a little more height.
this creates a more level (less rake) appearance and can help prevent tire rub.
Local alignment shop did it. I provided the struts from rockauto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts