leveling kit, rough ride & still rubbing with 33s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

paintpollz

Reaction score
I run 10ply Superswamper 35x12.5r20 @ 55psi on my OBS yukon.. no complaits here.. but they do have spongy sidewalls.. i know from experience BFG's are one hell of a stiff tire aswell as the Redletter's paintpollz is probably used to the cushy ride of the 6plys that were on it..

that I am....however I don't think its just the tire. I think it is partially due to the geometry suspension right now. I also cannot believe that I have not heard more complaints from people on this forum that have leveled their trucks with larger tires. I thought I was covering my bases by using a brand name leveling kit & shocks. Lesson learned!!!

"Tires Cole! Tires' what wins the race!"

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I have 2.5 RC level in the front on stock struts and stock rear hight. Not one issue to be had. But i did get some 2500 stablinks because they are a bit longer..

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I have 2.5 RC level in the front on stock struts and stock rear hight. Not one issue to be had. But i did get some 2500 stablinks because they are a bit longer..

Rides like a lumber wagon.. but im used to it..

That is the exact "problem" that the OP is having. You just don't see it as a problem which is fine.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, this is very thorough and helpful to me. I will look into this more.

Nice looking truck!

Aren't most 33s E rated?

You can find d rated 33's. Might be limited options I suppose. I had 8 ply 285's on my old truck.

Also, no problem. Hope ya get it figured out. likely your ride quality is due to multiple things, but reduced droop will definitely make it feel more rough on bumpy roads, if you run out of downtravel you will feel the suspension bottom out as its a metal on metal stop IIRC, and then the tire is in the air, and then the tire slams into the ground. This of course happens quickly, and doesn't feel good, especially so with stiff sidewalls on the street.

Last edited:

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of C and D rate 33x12.50s out there if I recall.

OP
OP
P

paintpollz

Reaction score
I run 10ply Superswamper 35x12.5r20 @ 55psi on my OBS yukon.. no complaits here.. but they do have spongy sidewalls.. i know from experience BFG's are one hell of a stiff tire aswell as the Redletter's paintpollz is probably used to the cushy ride of the 6plys that were on it..

I am used to the cushy 6 plys.

Can someone recommend a new 6 ply tire in size 275/70R-18? I'm going to ditch the BFGs, they are just too stiff for a pavement crawler. Sucks cuz they are such a great tire when you need the offroad performance, and they look awesome too.

I can't really find any good matches. I like that tire size on the stock Z71 wheels because it fills out the wheel well nicely.

Thanks for the help.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have a bunch of sizes, check their website. I'd be going with 295/70/18.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DP2024