In what situations have you used 4L/4Low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Backing up an incline with a 5k+ trailer; thats when I use 4L in the Denali. At one of our places the shed has a decent incline, 4L makes backing up way easier when loaded.
Otherwise just regular auto or hi.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this because you buy really good tires? If not, then why?
I switched jobs where I no longer have to travel in inclement weather. It came in real handy when I had to be there or else. When I bought my newer truck I should have considered 2 wheel drives which were a few thou cheaper it seemed. Honestly, I’d rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... rather have and not need, than to need and not have.
Although I still check the roof clearance every time I get into any garage / covered parking lot besides mine for fear of tearing my Z71's lid off ...
I also prefer having and not needing.

I've only needed 4Hi twice, for maybe 3-5min each time, in the past two years.
Who knows how much time it saved me, being able to drive straight through a path that EVERYONE else has to drive around ...

Hobert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched jobs where I no longer have to travel in inclement weather. It came in real handy when I had to be there or else. When I bought my newer truck I should have considered 2 wheel drives which were a few thou cheaper it seemed. Honestly, I’d rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have.
My thoughts too. Had to have it, haven't needed it. I use it during heavy snows just to make sure it is working.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although I still check the roof clearance every time I get into any garage / covered parking lot besides mine for fear of tearing my Z71's lid off ...
I also prefer having and not needing.

I've only needed 4Hi twice, for maybe 3-5min each time, in the past two years.
Who knows how much time it saved me, being able to drive straight through a path that EVERYONE else has to drive around ...
One trip that was particularly bad because ice was developing under the snow I did exactly as you said. I chose the path of fresh snow that no one else thought or dared to go. Slowly passed the whole back up on the right.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used 4lo today pulling 2 1/2 tons of gravel around my hilly yard.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I’ve wasted my money getting 4x4. Haven’t used any 4hi or Lo wheel since 2018.
I have not used mine once since new but I don’t spend winters in snowy regions anymore. Don’t care….
But you only need one or two times to really save your neck when you really need it. It also helps immensely on resale value as most people won’t buy these used without 4wd, especially in mid to northern climates….

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz