In what situations have you used 4L/4Low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I overdid it buying a Z71 4WD for use in NYC.
So far, I've had no need for 4Lo.
I've used 4Hi in snowy muddy situations where I wanted to avoid Auto4 changing its mind back and forth.
Otherwise Auto4 was enough to handle heavy rain or light to moderate snow.

I personally may never need to use 4Lo.
My only concern about 4Lo is, IFF I'll ever need to use it, will it engage after nearly two decades of slumber?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used to 4-Low to get out of wet grassy areas and deep beach sand before. As often as I can remember, I'll run the transfer case through its different modes so it'll be there when I need. You'll never hear me cursing GM after trying to use my TC to get out of a pinch and the thing didn't work because it was gummed up from not being used.

There are some dirt roads in the county I run the truck in 4-Low in to get the cobwebs out from time to time. My kids use it all the time in the sugar sand and to get others un-stuck.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I think I overdid it buying a Z71 4WD for use in NYC.
So far, I've had no need for 4Lo.
I've used 4Hi in snowy muddy situations where I wanted to avoid Auto4 changing its mind back and forth.
Otherwise Auto4 was enough to handle heavy rain or light to moderate snow.

I personally may never need to use 4Lo.
My only concern about 4Lo is, IFF I'll ever need to use it, will it engage after nearly two decades of slumber?
It'll engage. Just make it a guys day every few months and run it through its paces (whether it likes it or not). Hit some ranges broseph and climb ......

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It'll engage. Just make it a guys day every few months and run it through its paces (whether it likes it or not). Hit some ranges broseph and climb ...
Question 1: So, I should just find some loose dirt / mud / gravel / unpaved road with enough 'give', engage 4Lo, and drive around?
Or, I could wait til there's enough snow on the ground ...

Question 2:
What if I'm crazy enough to engage 4Lo on a rainy day? Do I simply do so in a perfectly straight line to minimize / avoid any issues?

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to exercise it, just find a gravel back road and give it a little drive. In all reality, it won't really work anything out other than the shift solenoid and the t-case linkage. The t-case gets exercised every time you drive the truck.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to back a trailer up a hill on a loose surface on my property occasionally - 4-lo really comes in handy for that! Other than that it's great for crawling around on rough, narrow, and/or steep dirt roads. A lot of the lesser-used Forest Service roads around here suffer from lack of maintenance and can get pretty gnarly.

My 2013 came with a single-speed t-case, but I have a two-speed sitting in my shop, along with dash knob and t-case controller, waiting for me to install them. Looking forward to having it.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live on a lake with a steep grassy back yard. I use 4 low going up and down with a utility trailer when I wat to haul dirt or rock down and for dock maintenance. 4 high would work but tends to want to spin the tires when the tc hits. It also inspires more confidence dodging trees on the hill.

Sometimes I'll use it pulling folks out of a ditch. I exercise it on gravel roads mainly for fun.

stallion_412

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Some of this was using my pickup and not my Yukon, but:
-driving on extremely steep mountain roads
-pulling bushes out of the ground with a tow chain (don't ask)
-Putting tension on a tree I'm cutting down
-dragging 1000lb+ logs
-pulling farm trailers that are well beyond the max tow capacity (at very low speeds on gravel roads)

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in most cases you will never "need" to use 4low unless you are stuck period and are trying to work your way out.
I went thru this whole thing and more in "auto" on Saturday, the first "pit" in the open meadow was nothing but a mud put probably a foot deep all the way across, went right thru it like butter.
the only thing I have is a 4.5" lift on it and this road was no problem in auto, could have made it thru much worse
4LO Can be handy when it is needed

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo