In what situations have you used 4L/4Low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShookieJay

Reaction score
This may not be relevant to the newer models, but I've used 4L a handful of times in my '03 Tahoe. There are some moderately challenging trails on the outskirts of my town that I go to every now and then. The trails are just barely wide enough for my truck, and there are some gnarly rocky slopes (at least for a stock SUV with running boards lol). I usually run the whole trail in 4L because it offers greater control when crawling over rocks, and drasticly reduces the need for braking going downhill. Only time I've used it on pavement was to pull out a forklift at work when some genius decided to drive it over gravel :crazy: it probably would have done it in 2H but forklifts are f*****g heavy and I didn't want to stress the ole' 4L-slippy too hard lol

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand driving on the beach and stuck in a snow bank on unplowed roads in the forest.
Absolutely necessary in the sand.

Last edited:

SavageDad

Reaction score
in most cases you will never "need" to use 4low unless you are stuck period and are trying to work your way out.
I went thru this whole thing and more in "auto" on Saturday, the first "pit" in the open meadow was nothing but a mud put probably a foot deep all the way across, went right thru it like butter.
the only thing I have is a 4.5" lift on it and this road was no problem in auto, could have made it thru much worse
4LO Can be handy when it is needed
What tires are you running with that 4.5" lift?

SavageDad

Reaction score
Personally I like to take the kids out and wander the deserts and hills around here off and on when I can and I run her in 2H for pretty much everything, rocky hills may call for 4H, but when the rocks consistently get bigger than softball size or the grade gets steeper than about 20° I switch to 4L for the extra traction and control. When I finally swap out the stock Goodyear rubber I may find it less necessary, but for now I find these tires inspire little confidence if things get steep or if there is any mud at all.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sand driving on the beach and stuck in a snow bank in the forest.
Absolutely necessary in the sand.
Both of our XL Denalis are AWD without low range but first gear is pretty low. I’ve driven both extensively on the soft sand beaches of the outer banks and never had a problem. On sand, the key is to air down the tires and turn off the traction and stability control. I don’t think I’ve ever even spun a tire this way in the sand.

That’s not to say I haven’t missed low range in other situations, but I’ve always managed to make it through. A few years ago my wife and I rented a yurt for the weekend way up on a mountain near Luray, VA and I could’ve used low range there but made it through.

I spent many years wheelin’ when I lived in Colorado and had Land Rovers and an ‘02 Suburban - all with low range and sure made rocky road crawling easier. It’s my only complaint about the AWD Denalis - GM went a little too far toward the mall crawler end of the scale for my liking. The running boards and no low range are a poor match for Colorado mountain pass duty.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of our XL Denalis are AWD without low range but first gear is pretty low. I’ve driven both extensively on the soft sand beaches of the outer banks and never had a problem. On sand, the key is to air down the tires and turn off the traction and stability control. I don’t think I’ve ever even spun a tire this way in the sand.

That’s not to say I haven’t missed low range in other situations, but I’ve always managed to make it through. A few years ago my wife and I rented a yurt for the weekend way up on a mountain near Luray, VA and I could’ve used low range there but made it through.

I spent many years wheelin’ when I lived in Colorado and had Land Rovers and an ‘02 Suburban - all with low range and sure made rocky road crawling easier. It’s my only complaint about the AWD Denalis - GM went a little too far toward the mall crawler end of the scale for my liking. The running boards and no low range are a poor match for Colorado mountain pass duty.
Running boards and Wyoming passes.

But I was in 4Lo doing it.

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0903.jpeg

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score

We had about 15 years on the sand at OBX and found some soft spots, like getting out to Oregon Inlet, but they didn't compare to some up north where the sand is like powdered sugar. The full sidewalls of the tires can be buried while driving along (and they make a weird squeeking from the friction).
We always air down no matter which beach and revert to low range to keep the strain on the drivetrain down and always once things start bogging down.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had about 15 years on the sand at OBX and found some soft spots, like getting out to Oregon Inlet, but they didn't compare to some up north where the sand is like powdered sugar. The full sidewalls of the tires can be buried while driving along (and they make a weird squeeking from the friction).
We always air down no matter which beach and revert to low range to keep the strain on the drivetrain down and always once things start bogging down.
Yup! Then you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo