In what situations have you used 4L/4Low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mtnranger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had a Jeep and have a Bronco now, and we go mild off-roading/mildest rock crawling occasionally and only used 4L in the steep or super bumpy situations, and it comes in very handy. We are not really expecting to take the Yukon on the same trails but want to know how far we can safely push it and enjoy the capabilities. We have a Yukon on order that’s estimated to be built in Jan/feb but I was just curious in what situations you’d use 4L or low range on a Yukon. We had a AT4 on order for the higher clearance but switched to Denali for the adaptive cruise control. The ground clearance seems to be pretty low to really go on any roads worse than a perfect dirt road and on those, you never use 4L anyway. So, does anyone ever use 4L on these vehicles?

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck mine has only been in "Auto" Twice and that's because we were on drenching flooded roads in hurricane IAN and the factory tires suck in the rain.
I don't think many people buy these things to run them thru Moab. Unless I would be pulling someone out of a deep ditch or something, (Unlikely) I doubt if it will ever see 4L.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used 4H on snowy roads in the PNW. We had a cabin with a very steep gravel graded road. Ground clearance wasn't an issue, but 4L was helpful. A buddy of mine told me once that he used 4L to haul a larger truck off a ferry boat whose air brakes failed (stayed locked). I'm not sure if I believe that story or not. Perhaps it was done with the aid of the semi cab in gear as well.

Bottom line, I doubt many would have a need to every use 4L. 4H is more useful in snow than Auto because front and rear wheels will always drive. Auto is useful on roads that are primarily dry, but may have slippery sections that could surprise you such as plowed road surfaces.

d_hawk

Reaction score
I have used 4L in powdery sand to keep transmission temperatures down, on rough forest service roads to keep from riding the brakes and in situations I wanted maximum traction, like water crossings. 4L is the only time you can use the +2 inch setting on the air suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_9129.jpeg
    IMG_9129.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9166.jpeg
    IMG_9166.jpeg
    476.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9371.png
    IMG_9371.png
    981.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9163.jpeg
    IMG_9163.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4L pulling the boat out of the lake: ramp is steep, slick, and it’s easier on the drivetrain.
4L pulling the boat the last 2 miles of the old logging trail to my favorite fishing hole in Ontario. This gets tow/haul turned off and max height of the adaptive suspension too.
4L a couple times pulling a car out of the ditch in some crappy MN weather.

Auto on mixed snow packed/icy roads in winter.
4H during snow or on snowpacked roads.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4L is great for steep grades at slow speed, and for engine braking down steep slopes. Pulling stuff in rough terrain, etc. I have it in my 2017 Denali, but have AWD in my 2008 Denali. I really wish I had a 2 speed case in my 2008 for overlanding mountain passes. It made it without any issues, but being able to keep RPMS up for pump pressure and circulation would be spectacular.

Basically, use it where low speed and power/ engine braking are needed. Depending on the number of gears in your trans will also dictate the necessity.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it rains and I pull into a jobsite that has gravel I use it to prevent unnecessary chaos. It's my wife's car so anytime she's in something slippery it's easier for her to twist a knob and roll out especially with the kiddos asleep.

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
If it rains and I pull into a jobsite that has gravel I use it to prevent unnecessary chaos. It's my wife's car so anytime she's in something slippery it's easier for her to twist a knob and roll out especially with the kiddos asleep.
I have never used it in this car, but in all my Toyotas you had to go to neutral, stop and engage the 4l, only 4h went in without stopping. Is it really that easy to go into 4l in this? Also the 4L is very slow and cumbersome steering.

A lot of the uses I am seeing here for 4L are really 4H or AWD situations, but in the end it doesn't really matter if it works for the users.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of the uses I am seeing here for 4L are really 4H or AWD situations, but in the end it doesn't really matter if it works for the users.
Absolutely correct. I would never take the time to shift into 4L to pull into a jobsite? Most all of the above conditions don't need maximum stump pulling or jerking along at 5-15 mph. I probably only used it on my 2500 Ram Cummins 2-3 times in 20 years.....and it did a lot more than this vehicle will ever do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts