HELP!! bigger tires...any input?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrunkAndDriven

User Requested Ban
Reaction score
i registered here so i could ask this question. ill post pics and more questions with time. i have 96 2dr tahoe no lift with stock 16x7 rims and 265/75-16 bf goodrich all terrains. i wanna know whats the tallest widest tires i can put on this without any lift. body or suspension. width is the more important thing to me i want to get an offset rim too so they stick out just a lil bit. IS ANY THING IM SAYING POSSIBLE OR AM I TALKIN OUTTA MY ASS?? im young and not much of a mechanic so dont beat me up to bad. thanks for any help

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
you could go with a 285, maybe a 305, which are equivlant to about an 11.5 basically a 33" inch is the biggest you would wanna go, maybe a little crank up front. Otherwise change out the rims and lift it

OP
OP
D

DrunkAndDriven

User Requested Ban
Reaction score
alright and what about an offset in the rims. obviously i have to get new ones
but does that require a lift?

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
Stock is 5.5, i actually have 5 but will being going to 4.5's soon. i wouldnt go any lower then that and it also depends on how wide you end up going.

994door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some lifts require a min-max back spacing 4.5 is a good back space that way if you ever lift it you wont need to replace the rims again

OP
OP
D

DrunkAndDriven

User Requested Ban
Reaction score
uhhh... you guys kinda lost me 4.5 and 5.5 your talkin offset on a rim? so if i get a 10" wide rim could i get an offset like 7 3? or do def gotta get a lift for that

994door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How to Measure Wheel BackSpace

Items required to measure wheel backspace:
Tape measure
Straight edge
Wheel w/o tire (preferred)
The easiest way to measure backspace is to lay the wheel face down onto the ground so the backside of the wheel is facing up. Take a straight edge and lay it diagonally across the inboard flange of the wheel. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from where the straight edge contacts the inboard flange to the hub mounting pad of the wheel. This measurement is backspace. The above photo shows three wheels with 2",3", & 4" backspace

if you have a stock rim with 5.5 back spacing and the rim is say 7.5 inches wide then a rim with 5.5 inch back spacing and 10 inches wide will stick out 2.5 inches more or there abouts

Attachments

• tech-backspace.gif
    tech-backspace.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 23

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can look through some of my pictures mine are 17x9 with 4.5" backspacing and -12mm offset. the tires are 285/70/17 all i have done is crank the torsion bars some and cut some to make them fit

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
you can look through some of my pictures mine are 17x9 with 4.5" backspacing and -12mm offset. the tires are 285/70/17 all i have done is crank the torsion bars some and cut some to make them fit

Did you have to cut the plastic right above the valance on the front part of the fender? I put my Mickeys on and that is where they rub. I cranked the T bars and they still rub when running my 285 BFG's. It's not horrible, but I can't turn sharp without rubbing and I don't really want to cut the fenders. I have a 4.5" backspace and a -22 mm offset.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry man forgot about this thread. I had to trim on the back of the front fender and the valance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1962C10Youkon