Handling 101

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serge..... you could install it and run it for a little while, then sell it if you hate it that much.

I'm good ... I have enough experience with these truck to predict how I'm going to react to something different on one of them.

It's not an issue, I got a good deal on it and someone else here will as well. :) I don't like to start for sale threads without having the item in hand ... so I just mention it here in case someone wants to jump in on it.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will definitely make someone a nice purchase!

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick q ...

Can someone remind me why it is a bad idea to drop the front any more than 1" with springs and why it's better with spindles?

Is it a ride quality issue or a matter of hurting other components on the truck?

Thanks.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because spindles retain the things that are responsible for your ride quality..........Factory Springs and Struts.

The spindle itself is just a hunk of metal that does not flex, bounce, etc..........

The spindle just has the hole for the wheel hub placed higher in the unit.......making you lower.

Spindle Negatives I have observed......

2 inch drop min. (bad if you only want 1 inch).
May lose slight turning radius.
Some report of DIC traction control / ABS messages.

Bump steer???? IDK. Someone please chime in who has spindles.

Last edited:

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Quick q ...

Can someone remind me why it is a bad idea to drop the front any more than 1" with springs and why it's better with spindles?

Is it a ride quality issue or a matter of hurting other components on the truck?

Thanks.
Spindles have not effect on the way the SUV ride because they are connected to the hub. All the really do is hold the hub/wheels on the car.
The struts are part of the more active suspension. They are what dampens the car. Using them for a drop reduces travel, which is what causes the harshness/softness that people complain about. Same thing happens sometimes even when the SUV is lifted because the coils/struts used on some of those lifts are extremely stiff. Same thing goes for torsion bar lifts.

Lift spacers don't really affect the ride if they are installed below, or on top, of the strut assembly. What affects the ride in that type of setup is the heavy large tire that normally accompanies that type of lift.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
comparison.gif

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Serge..... see the hole in the GM (Middle picture) compares to the 2 drop spindles (side pictures). The hole is placed higher.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
comparison.gif

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Serge..... see the hole in the GM (Middle picture) compares to the 2 drop spindles (side pictures). The hole is placed higher.

Posting that may get you banned by oversight!

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the knowledge modded.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
We are not supposed to post anything seen as bashful to a certain brand or person/member. Either that or I am just disliked.....
Basically, I'm on the chopping block and about to get a "vacation" for doing so by stating my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts