Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe 5.3 4x4

So I recently noticed some noise coming from the front end of my Tahoe. It sounded to me like a wheel bearing. The previous owner claims they just put new ones on (a little over a year ago now) and I already had to replace the passenger side. It was making a VERY loud noise. From about 20 all the way to 80. Did not stop or let up. It was a CONSTANT roar. Had a shop tell me it was the worst that he had ever heard.

So my best friend works at a junk yard and I got a used wheel bearing from them. I thought, hmm, what are the odds of this one being bad as well. Since its only a 45 min job to swap them, it was worth a shot to see if it fixed the issue.

I swapped the wheel bearing and cross rotated my tires while I was at it. When I pulled my wheel bearing off, I spun it and it sounded terrible, so I figured that it was the problem.

Now that I have the new (to me) wheel bearing in, the sound seems to be exactly the same as the old bearing.

So I have 2 questions. How likely is it that my front carrier is making this noise? The previous owner also claims that they had all fluids changed around the same time as the wheel bearings.

Also, what brand wheel bearing would be best recommended for a 4x4 lifted, bigger tire size Tahoe?

Thanks in advance for y'alls help!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
2001 Tahoe 5.3 4x4

So I recently noticed some noise coming from the front end of my Tahoe. It sounded to me like a wheel bearing. The previous owner claims they just put new ones on (a little over a year ago now) and I already had to replace the passenger side. It was making a VERY loud noise. From about 20 all the way to 80. Did not stop or let up. It was a CONSTANT roar. Had a shop tell me it was the worst that he had ever heard.

So my best friend works at a junk yard and I got a used wheel bearing from them. I thought, hmm, what are the odds of this one being bad as well. Since its only a 45 min job to swap them, it was worth a shot to see if it fixed the issue.

I swapped the wheel bearing and cross rotated my tires while I was at it. When I pulled my wheel bearing off, I spun it and it sounded terrible, so I figured that it was the problem.

Now that I have the new (to me) wheel bearing in, the sound seems to be exactly the same as the old bearing.

So I have 2 questions. How likely is it that my front carrier is making this noise? The previous owner also claims that they had all fluids changed around the same time as the wheel bearings.

Also, what brand wheel bearing would be best recommended for a 4x4 lifted, bigger tire size Tahoe?

Thanks in advance for y'alls help!

I don't know about the carrier, but the best bearings are Timken by far. Rock auto has them for $100 ea.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was listening more today, and the noise does not change pitch. It is pretty much the same pitch through all speeds, but the noise gets faster. It is not a steady hum. I can't really post a video because my tires are kind of noisy and you probably would not be able to hear the noise.

It is more like an on off thing. I don't know how to describe it. Instead of a steady hhhmmmmmmmmm that changes pitch with speed, it is more like a woo woo woo woo woo. Like I said, the pitch stays the same, but the woo woo gets faster as I go faster...

Thoughts?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I was listening more today, and the noise does not change pitch. It is pretty much the same pitch through all speeds, but the noise gets faster. It is not a steady hum. I can't really post a video because my tires are kind of noisy and you probably would not be able to hear the noise.

It is more like an on off thing. I don't know how to describe it. Instead of a steady hhhmmmmmmmmm that changes pitch with speed, it is more like a woo woo woo woo woo. Like I said, the pitch stays the same, but the woo woo gets faster as I go faster...

Thoughts?

That sounds like it's rotational. You said you can make the noise by jumping on the bumper? Have you checked the wheel for play side to side and up /down while it's off the ground?

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a bearing noise. If the frequency of the woo woo woo's gets fast with vehicle speed and not rpm, then it's not engine related. It will be a bearing that is from the output shaft to the wheels.

Try swerving left to right and listen for the intensity of the woo woo woo lol to change. Swerve left and it goes away or softens its he right bearing vise versa. If it doesn't change, it'll be something in the rear. Output shaft bearing pinion bearing rear axle bearings etc.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like it's rotational. You said you can make the noise by jumping on the bumper? Have you checked the wheel for play side to side and up /down while it's off the ground?
No, I never tested jumping on the bumper. I have not checked for play since I just put the wheel bearing on a few days ago.

In my personal experiences, bad wheel bearings have always changed pitch the faster you went. I am not sure if this could still be the case or not. I will probably be digging into it a big this weekend to see what I can find...

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
No, I never tested jumping on the bumper. I have not checked for play since I just put the wheel bearing on a few days ago.

In my personal experiences, bad wheel bearings have always changed pitch the faster you went. I am not sure if this could still be the case or not. I will probably be digging into it a big this weekend to see what I can find...

Sorry, confused two threads. I'm with @M1Gunner on this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9