Continued front axle trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a post here a while back (like fall of 2022) about some trouble I was having doing some reassembly on my front axle after changing a shaft seal and needle bearing that mates to the drivers side CV shaft. Through some issues I ended up having to pretty much disassemble the entire thing before I could actually put it together.

Fast forward to now. I have some noise coming from what I am sure is the front axle along with some radial play on the drivers side output and a leaking shaft seal. Rather than take the thing apart again I'm thinking picking a unit from a salvage yard to just swap in. There's one here locally for $125 that has about 179000 miles. What I wonder though is how much wear does the axle assembly typically see since it likely spent most of its life disengaged? I can change the shaft seals and needle bearings beforehand and have it ready to swap in on a weekend. Is worth doing extra and even putting a rebuild kit in it?

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was the nightmare that I had.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To a point I do wonder now if my dad and I caused something when we were trying to incorrectly reassemble things.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help you with your specific question, but I am now in the process of having both complete front drive shaft assemblies changed out. I have a leaky CV joint boot on one, and I figured that with 155,000 miles on them, it would be better to replace both completely.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Mudsport96 I'm not sure what you mean? Are you saying that because the drivers side shaft is splined into the differential and passenger side is disconnected by the actuator?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21