Front End Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also vote Timken. I went with them myself after hearing they're indestructible.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another +1 on the timkens. Watch out though, there were knock off ones that weren't actually made in the US floating around on amazon/ ebay for a while. I forget exactly what it was, but there was an easy way to tell.

Also not always an easy job. The hubs tend to fuse themselves to the vehicle over time, especially if you live somewhere with lot's of road salt (thanks Michigan). Mine took a LOT of work to get off. I ended up using a grade 8 Bolt stuck through one of the wheel lug holes, with a nut on the back driving into the knuckle. Still stripped out even a grade 8 before it came loose with some air chiseling as well.

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another +1 on the timkens. Watch out though, there were knock off ones that weren't actually made in the US floating around on amazon/ ebay for a while. I forget exactly what it was, but there was an easy way to tell.

Also not always an easy job. The hubs tend to fuse themselves to the vehicle over time, especially if you live somewhere with lot's of road salt (thanks Michigan). Mine took a LOT of work to get off. I ended up using a grade 8 Bolt stuck through one of the wheel lug holes, with a nut on the back driving into the knuckle. Still stripped out even a grade 8 before it came loose with some air chiseling as well.
Wow. Fortunately, these are not bad to come off. I have already replaced both of them once. No salt down in GA!

OP
OP
David Smith

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome, RH wheel bearing is the culprit! And Timken is hands down first choice for bearings.

Keep us updated man!
So when you make a left turn and it goes away, it is the right bearing? I have seen other people say the opposite on line. I have no idea really. I intend on changing them both, just curious for future reference.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No no no crap Im messing you all up. When you swerve left it loads the vehicle weight onto the right. So if The noise goes away swerving left then it's the LH bearing. If it gets doesn't go away or gets louder then it's the RH bearing.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
No no no crap Im messing you all up. When you swerve left it loads the vehicle weight onto the right. So if The noise goes away swerving left then it's the LH bearing. If it gets doesn't go away or gets louder then it's the RH bearing.

Almost replied to this earlier, wanted to see what you said. Lol. This is correct now. Turn left, weight goes right, noise stops, left bearing. And vice versa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy