Electric fan cooling.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpareParts

Reaction score
Im thinking of swapping to E-Fans but before i do, i have a question.
How do they cool compare to the HD clutch fan? About the only thing i ever tow is a 5K trailer hauling quads.
Reason im asking is my truck runs on the hot side 210 ish and i found my fan clutch is bad so it needs to be replaced. Only has a slight drag when hot. Has more drag when cold.
Getting the E-Fans is not to hard and i have HP tuners so turning them on is easy just need to come up with a wire harness.

OP
OP
SpareParts

SpareParts

Reaction score
read a bunch but maybe not the right one. Seems they all ask about what fans, wiring or how to turn on.
Can't find a comparison.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Others will chime in with details. I think that others have used the OE wiring that they got with fans and is controlled by the tune and proper operation by sensor(s) and of course when a/c comes on. The actual install of the system is not up my alley because I already have it. I would assume that the threads here show the install.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes all i read talk about install, wiring etc.
Im wondering about a comparison.
Well, I can answer that with my own comparison. I had a 2002 Tahoe with a fan clutch and the temps had a range they worked in. It depended on how hard I drove it and any passes I accelerated hard with, out here in the PNW. IIRC, my temp range was from the 215 mark to about 190 and all that could happen on the same drive depending on driving conditions and ambient temp. With my electric fans, my temps are very constant at the 205 to 210 mark. A year ago July, I was on a long 5000+ mile trip and went up and accelerated hard up many passes and not once did my temp climb above 210.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common wisdom is that eFans do not cool as well as clutch fans. Less common is that eFans don't cool as well as clutch fans when you need them the most: under load. Ultimately, it depends on how you set your fans up. If memory serves, the fastest you can power a clutch fan is when you are at or near your red line, or 6500 RPM (in most cases). However, clutch fans do not cool as well under light load (like stop and go traffic in busy cities). So if you tune your eFans to cool as you need in the conditions you drive, you should be just fine.

The things switching to eFans gets you are more room in the engine compartment, maybe .5 mpg (depending on how heavy your foot already is), and maybe 1 HP or similar.

Electric Fan vs Clutch Fan Dyno: Which Is Better?

Electric fan vs Clutch fan?

What type of cooling fan should I use?

Fan clutch vs electric fan

Electrical or fan clutch

@OR VietVet I searched engine & drive train and Performance sections, and didn't really see any comparison stuff. Would you mind taking a look?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

dps01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
E-Fan Swap…
Lots of information (and theories) on the numerous threads regarding this subject.

Collected the parts to for an OEM setup to swap into a 2003 Z71 (they are in a big dusty box just waiting to be installed).

Question:

Would installing a switch on one or both of the ECM wires and going to ground cause issues with the computer or set a code? Taking them to ground should allow the fans to operate, but not sure about “unintended consequences” …

Looking for a solution that would allow me to turn the fans on at will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts