Engine cooling issue with 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strictly regarding thermostats / thermostat assemblies, I'm willing to trust Gates, Stant, and/or MotoRad -
unless new info comes to light to convince me to distrust them ...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 424519
This seems to be of concern, the thermostat is discontinued. Im sure that is just that model for some reason, but still strange to see discontinued on a thermostat.
gm changes part numbers like women change clothes, superseded
Superseded Part Number
12674639 GM12671393 12666569 12650534 12671393 12650536
those may be old as well
best thing to do is call your local dealer parts department and give them the last 8 of your vin and they can tell you the current part number.
if they won't give it to you, then hang up and call ANY other gm dealer parts department, some are dicks

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 424519
This seems to be of concern, the thermostat is discontinued. Im sure that is just that model for some reason, but still strange to see discontinued on a thermostat.
after a little searching it appears that is the correct part number, but I don't think it is discontinued there just isn't any in stock OR they are in the process of changing part numbers
there appear to be some around online....
ac delco list's the same part number
and autonation list's the same part number and autonation is a HUGE gm parts dealer
this part is good for 2015-2020 6.2l gm isn't going to stop making parts for vehicles that are still under warranty, so somethings up
639.JPG

OP
OP
S

schendela

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update. Went and put in a new GM thermostat and that seems to have corrected the problem. On a 20 mile drive doing 80mph, the temp never went above 200. I let the yukon idol for 30 minutes and it sat at 216 the whole time. Started driving again and back down to 190s. So problem solved for now. Im going to wait for the temp sensor to fail again and go with a GM part for that as well.
Lesson learned, for the family daily vehicle, go OEM.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update. Went and put in a new GM thermostat and that seems to have corrected the problem. On a 20 mile drive doing 80mph, the temp never went above 200. I let the yukon idol for 30 minutes and it sat at 216 the whole time. Started driving again and back down to 190s. So problem solved for now. Im going to wait for the temp sensor to fail again and go with a GM part for that as well.
Lesson learned, for the family daily vehicle, go OEM.
Good lesson learned. You get what you pay for, at best.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference, partscenterplus on eBay is a GM dealer in AZ with reasonable prices and quick shipping. I use them whenever I need guaranteed OE parts.

Bagherra

Reaction score
I'm havin a hard time finding an OEM thermostat as well....
AC Delco15-1125...everyone is "Unavailable" or "Out of Stock"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo