Dealership cancelled my purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockytfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing. Looked high and low, found one that I liked 4 hours away. Drove my trade-in over even though I could've sold it to CarMax locally. When I bought my wife's car, we found it in Florida and bought it sight unseen. Had it shipped to us for $700.

Another alternative is using someone to drive your vehicle to you. I did that on my '08 hybrid years ago. He was a retired Delta employee and could fly anywhere he wanted for free (on a Delta plane). I think he charged me $400 and I had the car the next day.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not go to Arkansas? I live in Virginia and if you offered me 2k if I drove there I’d get a 1 way rental or cheap flight and go. If the one you want with right color right options right price pops up go get it or worse case split the car hauler cost. I’m sure it’ll work out for you though. Good luck.

GregoryD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was Sales manager at a dealership in the 90's and I think what you ran into was the fact that the other dealer didn't want any miles on the one he was getting from your dealership. I did many trades with other dealers over the years and some wouldn't take a trade from me unless I shipped or trailered it. That got to be a bigger issue with trading dealers so the dealership bought an 18 foot pull trailer and we used a trade in Dodge Cummins truck to pull it with and did all the trades that way the last 2/3 years I was there. If I was paying todays prices for a new vehicle I wouldn't want 4/500 miles on it either. I do agree that your dealership wasn't very helpful in this transaction as they should have honored your committment to them, especailly if you left a deposit before they were going to get the truck. I mean if a dealer sells 50 vehicles a month at 1200 profit per that is 60,000 gross profit. Now if you have to take a 500.00 profit on the 51st deal and keep a ustomer happy then that is still 1176.00 profit per unit which if the dealership is being managed properly shouldn't change anything for anyone and you have happy customer. At the store I worked at if I made an error or screwed up or if a salesperson promised something to a customer that he/she shouldn't have we would honor the mistake even if it cost a few hundred dollars.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What many don't realize is that for every nickel given away on customer service issues, many dollars come in as a direct result of those nickels. Had a guy come in to my tire store one night dressed like a bum in a ***** Chevette and no money. He said he would pay the next day. Took him at his word and put two tires on his car much to the chagrin of the counter help. The next day he shows up in a suit and tie, pays the bill and had us put four new tires on his Corvette and an alignment. I lost count how many times situations like that came our way. Now this one didn't cost us but there were other situations that did and the results were the same, more business and a grateful public.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
What many don't realize is that for every nickel given away on customer service issues, many dollars come in as a direct result of those nickels. Had a guy come in to my tire store one night dressed like a bum in a ***** Chevette and no money. He said he would pay the next day. Took him at his word and put two tires on his car much to the chagrin of the counter help. The next day he shows up in a suit and tie, pays the bill and had us put four new tires on his Corvette and an alignment. I lost count how many times situations like that came our way. Now this one didn't cost us but there were other situations that did and the results were the same, more business and a grateful public.

I couldn't agree more. I've had so many times where I've spent time helping a customer fix one of my competitors' machines because they won't help, and it always comes around when it's time to replace the equipment (which usually isn't too far off if they're calling for help in the first place).

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are keeping a vehicle for five + years, what difference does 4/500 miles on the clock make to the purchaser? None, in my humble opinion. I think the transferring dealership was the one with the problem as he did not want a new one with 4/500 sitting on his lot. Can't say I blame him. But deals are everywhere. I sometimes look for two or three months for what I want and then buy it from my local dealership or the transferring dealership, if my local one cannot do the deal (for whatever reason). It always has worked in the long run for the best for me, even when I just cannot make the deal. Don't sweat it or force it to happen. It is just a vehicle, after all.

kf7grq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Idk why people do this. Just extend your search and go get it yourself. I’ve traveled up to 1k miles (one way) when the price is right. Maybe I just like traveling.
That is how I purchased my used Escallade EXT. Found it on Craigs List in Las Vegas, NV and drove it back to Western Pennsylvania. (Perhaps I should go in business to do this.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick