Cold air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Yup.
Lots of vehicles respond well to aftermarket intakes and CAI kits, so it's the first thing that people ponder when they get into a Tahoe or Yukon and want to improve performance.
But the tiny gains you get with these kits versus the factory set-up = not worth the $$$.
Not worth the big money maybe. But $120 yes it's very worth it.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg Just installed an Airaid 851-135 dry air filter to complement my MIT tube that I installed a couple months ago. Throttle response seems a little better, can definitely hear more airflow! Love it so far, time will tell if the two combined improve fuel economy at all.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the Ebay CAI! Can't beat the price for the "minimal" gains! I'm going to plasti dip that chrome tube though! too shiny for my blacked out/dark theme! Won't be here until next week but will post pics while I install it next weekend

Last edited:

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did some research on this for mine a couple years ago for my 98 tahoe..... the one shown above and others call it a cold air intake is wrong you get a new box for the filter with the top of box open thus you get hot air from under the hood.i went with airraid filter from ebay under 30 bucks installed in stock box on truck which is closed off under hood and draws cold air thru fender

I draw no conclusion from reading this thread other than I totally agree with BIGFOOTDUDE1. GM as well as other Mfgs. have experimented with RAM & COLD AIR with much success. They got their air from outside the vehicle through hoses and inlets underneath the bumper where best. A very rare 67 /69 Camaros were offered with a factory cross ram air box that mounted on the firewall above the heater core and used the wiper grille inlet to force air to the staggered twin 4 barrel Holley's. With a little effort, some 4" dryer hose, zip ties, and pluming offered @ box stores, you will not only hear the system you will feel it and NOT in your wallet. :2cents:

David g......:)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the Ebay CAI! Can't beat the price for the "minimal" gains! I'm going to plasti dip that chrome tube though! too shiny for my blacked out/dark theme! Won't be here until next week but will post pics while I install it next weekend
You should wrap it in header wrap instead. It comes in many colors plus you'll be keeping the air from picking up more heat from the metal tube. That's what I'm doing.

ywfj

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you dig the looks of a cold air kit, then pick what you like.
If you're seeking power gains from a cold air kit, save your money, as the hundreds of dollars for the average kit won't produce much and will be better far spent towards a custom tune (i.e., Blackbear).
that is so true. totally agreed.

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the CAI installed this weekend. It looks and sounds way better! On the highway I maybe got .5 mpg better. Nothing to write home about but for $50 the look and sound is worth it. I painted it with Rustoleum Flat Black Enamel

Last edited:

Jlaughtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the stock bottom plate off and build the heat shield. The stock bottom plate bolts are used to attach the heat shield. Cut the supplied edge covers to fit.

IMG_3106.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo