Cold air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a thread here where they dyno tested several and they were all very close. Of course, there was only a couple HP gain on any of them. I bought the Spectre and am happy with it. I mainly got it for looks and a nice intake sound when I throttle it. I didn't expect much in the way of power gain. That EBay one looks just like it.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dig the looks of a cold air kit, then pick what you like.
If you're seeking power gains from a cold air kit, save your money, as the hundreds of dollars for the average kit won't produce much and will be better far spent towards a custom tune (i.e., Blackbear).

rhahn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Without other mod's you won't see much of a difference. If you coupled it with a set of headers, a good cat-back, a mild torque cam and a tune your 5.3 will come alive.

Bigpuddie

Reaction score
Intakes on these newer 5.3's are fine. My recommendation to improve flow, sound, and power is a MIT tube. I did that and bought a Superchips flashpaq f5 tuner. What a huge difference!! Dont waste money on a CAI.

~the Captain

BIGFOOTDUDE1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i did some research on this for mine a couple years ago for my 98 tahoe..... the one shown above and others call it a cold air intake is wrong you get a new box for the filter with the top of box open thus you get hot air from under the hood.i went with airraid filter from ebay under 30 bucks installed in stock box on truck which is closed off under hood and draws cold air thru fender

Nashoba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have put cold air kits on almost every truck and SUV have ever had except for our 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. Just did not feel the need on that one. Twenty one plus mpg overall with 120,000+ on the odometer now. Always noticed at least .5 mpg improvement, most of the time more. Just bought a brand new 2015 Silverado 4X4 and am thinking of adding a cold air kit to it at some point. Just waiting to see what the cylinder deactivation and six speed tranny will average for a base line. The best system ever for me was a VARA-Ram I put on my 2004 Corvette. Huge performance improvement and 2.4 mpg highway mileage improvement. Expensive, though, at $750 installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxandpj