Tahoe TBSS Intake manifold swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cayd3n_idk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello tyf. Not entirely sure if I'm positing where I should be, but figured its my best bet. So I drive a 2003 Chevy Tahoe with the L59 5.3 with FF, and I'm currently planning on swapping a TBSS intake on it, however there are some issues I'm not too sure about that I think the fourm might be able to help me out with.
When it comes to the actual swap, with injectors, my L59 comes stock with 33lb/hr injectors, but I'm not too sure about the TBSS. I think that the LS2 in the vette, verse SS was different, and I dont know if I have to swap them, or can use my flexfuel ones etc etc. Stuff like that. --- add on to this, will my stock L59 injectors fit in a tbss fuel rail??
As well as when it comes to the throttle body, my throttle body (3 bolt design), however with the TBSS throttle body I know it switched over to a 4 bolt which im not too worried about, however there is 2 lines that run through my TB which im *pretty* sure are just coolant lines, but the TBSS TB doesnt have ports for those. wtf do i do with those lol.
I know its dumb, but im just genuinely confused and i really need help. anything is appreciated :))

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pcm is presently programmed for the injectors it is already working with.
If you get the LS2 injectors you may want to sell those off. To use the LS2 injectors you will need to reprogram your pcm for them.

The throttle body coolant bypass is older than almost anyone you know (no joke). It's how a coldER air intake is made.
Anyone can safely do a throttle body coolant bypass on any port or direct injected engine.

OP
OP
cayd3n_idk

cayd3n_idk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you get the LS2 injectors you may want to sell those off. To use the LS2 injectors you will need to reprogram your pcm for them.

The throttle body coolant bypass is older than almost anyone you know (no joke). It's how a coldER air intake is made.
Anyone can safely do a throttle body coolant bypass on any port or direct injected engine.
so- with this, are TBSS injectors the same as what comes in the Vette, or are they different due to what would be done for tuning?
also as for the throttle body, so i assume its just super easy to do lol. i just havent found anything telling me how i do it. Also, it would be getting tuned after the new intake so im not as worried about what my pcm whats from me, i just dont know the difference and if its even able to work without a full injector connector rewire.

OP
OP
cayd3n_idk

cayd3n_idk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

also I realize i forgot to ask- but with the TBSS injectors, are they any different in the #lb/hr rating than the L59 stocks? i couldnt find anything regarding it

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like 30 lb/hr for the TBSS but the Corvette were 33 lb/hr: https://www.tbssowners.com/threads/stock-fuel-injector-size.35698/

As to fitting them, IDK. Generally, pretty much anything Gen III can be swapped. Check out the ICT Billet website. They have a page that shows ALL of the different injectors they ever made, and even **** parts to adapt one to the other. https://www.ictbillet.com/swap-guide/ls-swap-guide/ls-fuel-injectors-swap-guide.html

Is your truck return less fuel system? If not, you have to use that Corvette regulator.

Edit: here's a thread that I found just scrolling down. May be of some help: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-99-02-tbss-intake-swap.141637/

OP
OP
cayd3n_idk

cayd3n_idk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like 30 lb/hr for the TBSS but the Corvette were 33 lb/hr: https://www.tbssowners.com/threads/stock-fuel-injector-size.35698/

As to fitting them, IDK. Generally, pretty much anything Gen III can be swapped. Check out the ICT Billet website. They have a page that shows ALL of the different injectors they ever made, and even **** parts to adapt one to the other. https://www.ictbillet.com/swap-guide/ls-swap-guide/ls-fuel-injectors-swap-guide.html

Is your truck return less fuel system? If not, you have to use that Corvette regulator.

Edit: here's a thread that I found just scrolling down. May be of some help: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/how-to-99-02-tbss-intake-swap.141637/
What do you mean by "return less fuel system"? cause im actually not sure what that means

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 03 flex fuels stayed return style duel rails. So he would have to use the Corvette style return filter. Also the injector height for the flex fuel injectors is different than the tbss, so he would have to find flex injectors and a rail from an 08 and newer truck I believe

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of information on this site and on the internet (youtube, other forums. etc.) on how to do this swap. A "return less fuel system" which were installed (I believe) on 04 and later on had one line going into the fuel rail which sits on top on the intake manifold. A "return fuel system" has two lines on the fuel lines - one directly from the fuel pump and the other to return fuel back to the tank. Obviously you will need to know what you have. Another link to some good information:

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About the L59.

About the LS2 in the TB SS, which has a few differences from the LS2 in the cars.

Here's the master list:
About all of the Gen3 & Gen4 LS & Vortec V8s.
(These pages helped me figure out that cathedral-port heads work on any 6.0L 5.7L 5.3L or 4.8L LS-type engine.
Now I just need to figure out if I can safely use holy heads on a 6.2L ...)
also I realize i forgot to ask- but with the TBSS injectors, are they any different in the #lb/hr rating than the L59 stocks?
i couldnt find anything regarding it
Also
What do you mean by "return less fuel system"? cause im actually not sure what that means
In your particular case I'd ask your tuner which injectors to keep / use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan