Cluster Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Here is what I have come up with in all my reading on NBS trans temp:

A cluster with the factory trans temp will work in any truck.

You can simply solder the motor into the cluster up until somewhere in 04, and it will work. (this is @Shaw520 's crap shoot)

Beginning sometime in 04, the gauge needs to be "turned on" if added to a cluster that didn't have it originally.

I think it's in the eprom chip. I know it's in the cluster because places like digital dash solutions can do it when you send them yours.

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ScottyBoy would know this the best. From all the research I have done on this, simply adding a stepper motor will not work unless the unit is programmed. I ended up just getting a 2500hd gauge for like 80 bucks off ebay and continued to do the same thing your doing. Its plug and play and now i have extra gauge parts, But please keep posting photos cause i was thinking of doing the same thing with the 6mm chrome, but was not sure how nice it would come out.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do,... all parts are in except for the overlay,...so soon as that arrives i'll begin. Yes the chrome edging will be trial an error,...if its not coming out to my liking im will ex it.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Project started; The 6mm chrome looks good except I could find no way to make a clean ending at the seam,...so im nixing the idea for now,....and the YT vid I saw on how to do the pointer is different then my pointers,... they are orange through and through,...so I just painted them,.. will probably loose there transparency but we shall see,..if its bad I'll buy new blue pointers.chrome.jpg needle.jpg

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chrome actually looks better then I thought. If you cut the strip straight or do not go all the way and stop it maybe like a half inch or in before meeting i think it would look good.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chrome actually looks better then I thought. If you cut the strip straight or do not go all the way and stop it maybe like a half inch or in before meeting i think it would look good.
Ah,! that a good idea may go like 220* and stop it,..and that would solve the problem on the others that are NOT complete circles! I'll try ending the chrome aprox where I penciled in the blue lines and see how that looks.chrome2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick