Cluster Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, ill keep posting as go through the process. Im also found a process where you craefully scrap the orange paint off the back of the needles/pointers and apply some bright blue paint, ill be doing that too...better than shelling out another $30 for pointers.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can not do that with your 04 needles. 03-06 needles are solid orange plastic, so you can't remove the orange color. Now the 02 and older needles ARE actually clear, and the bottom edge is painted orange. You CAN clear those if you have a 00-02. And if you are thinking about just grabbing some 00-02 needles for your 04, that's a negative as well because the motor shafts are a LOT thicker on the 02 and older so they won't fit on to the 03+ stepper motors.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this on a gauge repair service site that can add the temp gauge, It looks like the cluster needs to be programmed.

We are now able to add a transmission temperature gauge to your existing instrument cluster for the following GM and GMC vehicles: Silverado 1500, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, or Avalanche. The charge is $80.00 and includes programming, the additional stepper motor, needle and swapping out the instrument cluster gauge face

I have read that you CAN add a transmission temperature gauge on the 03 clusters and "some" of the 04 clusters with no programming needed. But on all 05 and newer clusters, you definitely need the cluster programmed for it to work.

EDIT: I just saw that @HiHoeSilver said basically the same exact thing.

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked Ladorn45's idea and I like how its coming out,...the chrome does take away from the degree hatch lines a little but should reflect the light nicely at night,..so im ok w/it.

cluster2.jpg more to follow.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can not do that with your 04 needles. 03-06 needles are solid orange plastic, so you can't remove the orange color. .

yes I discovered that in post #35,... I went ahead and just painted them and they look ok,...they probably wont illuminate as well but its ok for now

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,..final install and I like it,...it didnt photograph well because its semi daylight now,... for instance where you can see the white light coming through by the needle center's, you cant actually see in real life. I didnt install the blank that they give you for the Trans Temp because Im going to go ahead and get the motor and pointer and take a crap shot at weather it works or not.cluster4.jpg cluster3.jpg

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work... looks good.... i did always like white face gauges...they could have made the dic display follow the curve in black tho....

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice work... looks good.... i did always like white face gauges...they could have made the dic display follow the curve in black tho....
That's true. Would have looked more factory

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shaw520

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I see what you mean,... I could black that out with some paint or marker,...I didnt notice till you said it !! THANKS ! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094