Change Power Steering Gear BOX STill Hard to steer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having problem with my steering.. i have change the power steering gearbox, pitman, idler arm and where it connects to.

i change alot of major part. and still hard to steer, specially when the engine is at IDLE.

.. the first time i started tested the steering it was nice and smooth. after a few turn it started to get harder and harder sometimes it will not even move until i give it some gas but still hard to steer.

I dont have a Power Steering ASSIST feature i dont belive. because i have a regular Brake booster.. i think thats how you could tell. and the guy at the autozone told me the same thing...

When i change the Power steering Hoses on the Pressure side of the Power Steering PUMP. i have notice a sensor.. what is that.. a Sensor next to the Steering PUMP HOSE.??

maybe its my Power Steering PUMP

Also. it makes a GRINDING sound. like a door without lubrication. on some of it turns.. not all turns. but only when i go left when the steering is slightly on the right side of the car

By the way.. when i drive the drive. the power steering work fine. it only give problem when the car is not moving or when there is alot of pressure on the front..

I lifted the front and steer. it was perfect..

I also Disconnected the return hose on the power steering gear box and see if there is alot of Fluid coming out and its not block.. and yes fluid flow really good.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
While it is possible your pump may be malfunctioning I would think if it was it would sound noisy anytime you turn the wheel. If you hear sounds in repeatable paterns I would suggest you make sure you have no binding in your steering or suspension joints before replacing your pump. That sensor you mentioned is probably a power steering pressure switch. when you turn your wheels to lock and the strain on the pump puts a bigger drag on the engine it kicks the idle up a bit to compensate. Get your truck put on a service rack and have a mechanic get up close to the components to listen for noise while someone turns the wheel.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Sensor-Steering-Wheel-Speed/1998-Chevrolet-Tahoe-2WD/_/N-ja8d1Z8ijac?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=steering+speed+sensor&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=604618_0_2826_
It will fix that. Your truck has a variable ratio box and a control valve at the pump that changes line pressure and changes the steering ratio. this stupid sensor goes bad and people rebuild their entire font ends and change boxes and pumps and then realize... HEY... Whats this thing on the pump and find out they could have saved a grand or more.

Almost all of them had the variable ratio boxes after 96

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

If you want to check to see if your has the steering speed sensor look under the dash for this
attachment.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
longstand

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go buy this http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Dorman-Sensor-Steering-Wheel-Speed/1998-Chevrolet-Tahoe-2WD/_/N-ja8d1Z8ijac?counter=1&filterByKeyWord=steering+speed+sensor&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=604618_0_2826_
It will fix that. Your truck has a variable ratio box and a control valve at the pump that changes line pressure and changes the steering ratio. this stupid sensor goes bad and people rebuild their entire font ends and change boxes and pumps and then realize... HEY... Whats this thing on the pump and find out they could have saved a grand or more.

Almost all of them had the variable ratio boxes after 96

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

If you want to check to see if your has the steering speed sensor look under the dash for this
attachment.php

thank you for your reply.. before i purchase anything to fix my steering problem thats the First Item i have to replace.. it was easy.. just snap in on and thats it.. still had the problem

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for your reply.. before i purchase anything to fix my steering problem thats the First Item i have to replace.. it was easy.. just snap in on and thats it.. still had the problem

Check the valve on the pump then. there is an electrical wire that goes to it and if it's not connected I don't think it will allow full pressure. I don't know if you can get the valve or not with out having to buy the whole damn pump.
Is the pump any good?

OP
OP
longstand

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the valve on the pump then. there is an electrical wire that goes to it and if it's not connected I don't think it will allow full pressure. I don't know if you can get the valve or not with out having to buy the whole damn pump.
Is the pump any good?

I tested the pump!! HOW

I open the Return Hose on the power steering and see if the fluid is circulating and it did.

i made sure there is no Air inside the pump and gearbox.

valve.. hmm. i check it out.. i need to find a diagram of it.. my Manuel don't have a picture of it

I forgot to mention, there is some kind of a wire/sensor connected to the upper side of the power steering hose/ "pressure Side" on the power pump.. i have to replace the pressurise hose and i notice it...

Just to let you know man.. i dont have Hyroboost... maybe your thinking of one of them..

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
You should try a Power steering flush. Just because you replaced parts dosent mean you dont have sludge or junk built up in the system that could be restricting flow. I had this problem in my 89 sierra. I used Bg quick solve cleaner but you can get something like it at any auto store. Jacked up the front wheels and kept turing it side to side for a few minutes. Flushed and added new fluid and its like new again. You can do a flush yourself. If you can get one of your return line off, put the line into a bottle, start it real quick to pump old fluid into bottle. THen reattach the line, fill the System and bleed by holding in full lock then repeat for lock in other position topping off as needed

OP
OP
longstand

longstand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should try a Power steering flush. Just because you replaced parts dosent mean you dont have sludge or junk built up in the system that could be restricting flow. I had this problem in my 89 sierra. I used Bg quick solve cleaner but you can get something like it at any auto store. Jacked up the front wheels and kept turing it side to side for a few minutes. Flushed and added new fluid and its like new again. You can do a flush yourself. If you can get one of your return line off, put the line into a bottle, start it real quick to pump old fluid into bottle. THen reattach the line, fill the System and bleed by holding in full lock then repeat for lock in other position topping off as needed

How about this.. LOL

Use a Motor FLush into the Power Steering PUMP..
Turn Engine on.. Let It FLOW
Turn Steering From Left to Rigth. for about 5 Minutes NOne-Stop
and PUt one Quart of Cheap Power Steering Fluid. and Do it again..
Dump the Old Power Steering FLuid.
Put a Prestone Power Steering Fluid.

FInish..

i think motor Flush has chemical which is a little bit harsh but i think it will work better. because if it clean engine. it will surely clean Power Steering PUMP.. Shit.. why not use Seafoam.. and use it again for the engine..

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the pump is taking a shit on you, change it out (remans suck, get a new one) and use a fitting and power steering line from a truck or SUV that doesn't have the EVO crap. I think someone even makes a fitting that allows you to keep the existing power steering line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts