2017 Tahoe Limp Mode due to Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAMPATAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wife went to take the Tahoe to work this morning tried backing out the driveway and she said the Stability control warning message came on and she could hardly turn the steering wheel and the truck would barely move said it felt like E-Brake was on. So she parked it
I got in to put it back in Driveway and everything seemed fine with the exception of Check engine light on. Was able to park it in Driveway rotated the steering with no issues. Only issues leading up to this has been a rattle and small thud in front end when making a right hand turn the thud occurs and the rattle is when I go over bumps at speed. Im thinking the Power steering is starting to go or a ball joint on the front end that is binding up and causing the wheel to lose speed and setting off codes ... Any thoughts???

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife went to take the Tahoe to work this morning tried backing out the driveway and she said the Stability control warning message came on and she could hardly turn the steering wheel and the truck would barely move said it felt like E-Brake was on. So she parked it
I got in to put it back in Driveway and everything seemed fine with the exception of Check engine light on. Was able to park it in Driveway rotated the steering with no issues. Only issues leading up to this has been a rattle and small thud in front end when making a right hand turn the thud occurs and the rattle is when I go over bumps at speed. Im thinking the Power steering is starting to go or a ball joint on the front end that is binding up and causing the wheel to lose speed and setting off codes ... Any thoughts???
there is a TSB for power steering to maybe consider

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^ If you have a code reader, or better yet a bi-directional scanner, it will be very helpful in troubleshooting to get down to the core issue.

OP
OP
TAMPATAHOE

TAMPATAHOE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update so after some poking around the Engine light cleared but the AC is no longer working the Compressor sounds like crap even though it is engaging. So im guessing the AC unit had something to do with it. Going to run Diag this week when I get some time so see what code gets pulled

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar