buying next month, would like your advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ls1leadfoot

Ls1leadfoot

Reaction score
thats awesome^^^

i only my must havs are nav and leather
only reason i want the nav is because the dash looks cleaner, and i dont like any aftermarket head units. leather is just my thing, i hate cloth

but for the powertrain issue. we have never had a truck/suv much less anything that is 4wd so thats exciting....i dont want awd due to long term probs/maintenance related to it and the MPG

i would like the 6.2 if we ever got a boat or something. but for what we will due, grocery back and forth to work and running around the 5.3 would be fine

are all the 5.3s DOD??

White knight

Reaction score
07+ 5.3s, my understanding is yes. I did a lot of reading - and it's not that oil burning is a guarantee... It just seems to happen a lot. I will say that the DOD seems to boost the economy pretty well. I came from an expedition, with the 5.4 and 6 speed tranny - where my wife got 12.1 mpg with her normal driving... Tank after tank. First tank in the Burban was 15.3.

I thought hard about waiting around for a good denali to show up, but on the end, this was just a great used truck and it will serve us well. Couldn't pass it up.

OP
OP
Ls1leadfoot

Ls1leadfoot

Reaction score
that really sucks found this about the DOD or as they call it AFM
Note: A V8 AFM engine requires 8 AFM lifters and 8 non-AFM lifters for a total of 16 lifters.
Part Number Description Qty
12576400 Non AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter 8
12632143 AFM Hydraulic Valve Lifter 8

Models:
2007 Buick Rainier
2009 Buick LaCrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Built Prior to April 1, 2006 with 6.2L Engine RPO L92 (These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled)

2010-2011 Cadillac Escalade
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer
2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2007-2011 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007-2009 Saab 9-7X

id rather have awd then AFM/DOD imo

blairian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a Denali if I were you and had the funds. Lot less of them running around - but will cost a lot more in gas, etc.

I'm just a Tahoe fanboy - especially with the price. Definitely go Certified if you can find one!

White knight

Reaction score
I'd go with a Denali if I were you and had the funds. Lot less of them running around - but will cost a lot more in gas, etc.

I'm just a Tahoe fanboy - especially with the price. Definitely go Certified if you can find one!

Went bowling today with the fam and thought of this post. In the parking lot, there were numerous minivans, sedans, etc, 1 Tahoe, 2 Suburbans (including mine) 3 Yukon XLs (2 denalis) and 2 Escalade ESVs.. just thought it was funny.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe w/ the 5.3l. I love it. The 4wd ability is nice and it doesn't get terrible gas mileage like the awd 6.2 (would be nice to have the power though) I was avg 12 mpg city and 15-17 hwy until I got a tune from black bear performance. Now I get 15-16 city and 17-19 hwy. I do run premium gas 91+ only.

I regret not getting leather or Nav in mine and wish I would have spent just a bit more. Personally, I like the denali a little better, but that is just because of small details and additions that the Tahoe doesn't have. But, the Tahoe seems much cheaper in price and better for your money.

Honestly, I would get a Tahoe and get a tune to help your mpgs and power. You won't be disappointed. Like everyone said, TEST DRIVE EVERYTHING, and more than once.

:shrug:

20Tahoe12LT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 4x4, LT w/ luxury package, and I LOVE it. I towed a 6x12 U-Haul trailer coming across the country last July, and it towed it with aplomb. It handled the snow & ice quite well. (especially after I got rid of the stock tires.) I LOVE my Tahoe. Mine is also my dream vehicle too. I can not say enough good things about my Tahoe.

blairian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol - that's pretty crazy. As long as you don't get a minivan we won't shun you!!!!

I used to have a 04 Denali that I bought used (with less than 10k miles) and I loved it. Ended up totaling it in a wreck and parted ways, then bought a muscle car. Had to eventually start garaging the car and wanted something bigger for a daily driver, and for finances running two cars I had to "down grade" to the Tahoe. Still love it though!

I've always enjoyed sticking out in the crowd of family and soccer mom SUV's and the PPV foot the bill, especially with the price...if I had the funds I would have done another Denali no questions asked.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65