2007 buying advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

codeman2009

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for some advice before buying my first Tahoe. I am looking at a 2007 for a grocery getter for my wife.

We mostly take my truck everywhere but are looking for something bigger to accolade kids. She will drive this at max 10k a year.

Local guy has a 2007 Tahoe ltz for sale with 162k on it. I’m looking at it this weekend but I’ve attached pictures for reference. He’s asking 9k. Does that sound like a ok deal? What are some things to look for/common issues with these things? It looks clean but I’m not sure what kind of service records he has. Not worried about minor things, as I do almost all maintenance on all my vehicles myself unless it’s major motor or transmission work.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMG_5697.jpeg
    IMG_5697.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5698.jpeg
    IMG_5698.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5699.jpeg
    IMG_5699.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5700.jpeg
    IMG_5700.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5701.jpeg
    IMG_5701.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 16

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

First thing I would want to know is if it is an AFM engine.

Plus, I ALWAYS want service records or at least a detailed CarFax, otherwise it is all an unknown.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice before buying my first Tahoe. I am looking at a 2007 for a grocery getter for my wife.

We mostly take my truck everywhere but are looking for something bigger to accolade kids. She will drive this at max 10k a year.

Local guy has a 2007 Tahoe ltz for sale with 162k on it. I’m looking at it this weekend but I’ve attached pictures for reference. He’s asking 9k. Does that sound like a ok deal? What are some things to look for/common issues with these things? It looks clean but I’m not sure what kind of service records he has. Not worried about minor things, as I do almost all maintenance on all my vehicles myself unless it’s major motor or transmission work.

Thanks for the help!
This is around the mileage when major work is required unless it's been done already. A never serviced transmission usually goes bad around this mileage, a regularly serviced one is good for much more. If the suspension and steering is till all original, it's time for replacement. An LTZ will have rear air ride shocks with a compressor and electronic shocks up front. If the drivetrain is in good shape, she'll go 300K plus miles.

Is the AFM system still functional on it? If yes, was it ever overhauled and replaced with updated parts?

The interior looks great save for the grungy steering wheel and busted dash, normal wear items. New steering wheel is $300 with new controls too.

Check all the fluids, run the transfer case through all the modes. Test every button and switch.

One of the switches between the cigar lighters was probably de-activated during a recall a long time ago, that was the heated washer fluid. That's the button all the way to the right. That one may not work but the others ought to.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

I believe that you will be fine with this truck. As others have indicated, at that mileage some semi-major maintenance items may be coming up, but if you wrench, you will be fine, as most of these items can be performed by you. This truck, if maintained, will serve you well for at least another 100,000 miles.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Looks nice. Paint on hood is intact. Maybe it had a respray? It’s LTZ so you get autoride and rear air suspension. Best ever for the ride, towing and value now that replacements GM strut units have a lifetime warranty and repair under $2h ea.

Normally I’d be concerned about the AFM on the 5.3 however the recent discovery of swapping in a preloved regular gas L96 6.0L w/o AFM from a 3/4 or 1T truck and later L96 also capable of e85 makes this 07 a excellent candidate for a intended purposes.

Offer $1k less to cover deferred maintenance and surprises. Verify a/c works front & back, peek under steering wheel cover.

If oily under motor or trans take another $5h off as the rear main is a $1k job. Also because it’s 90% of the labor to do the pan gasket, motor mounts, front diff bushes / mounts and trans / front diff service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman