Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bomaxotis

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have 2011 Yukon Denali XL also has broken motor mount. Terrible quality GM. Saw these threads. Emailed GMC customer service they said take it into GM dealer for diag before they can determine whether or not GM would help with repair costs. Then called them to let them know that it was at my local GMC dealer. They then changed their mind while they were on the phone with me, before diag had been done, and said they were not willing to help at all. $65 k new. Has 118k miles and THEY told me to take it to GMC dealership. I do so and they then tell me before knowing what's wrong, they won't help. Now I have two $100 diag fees because I listened to GMC customer service. They said they can't help because vehicle out of warranty. Looks like the above vehicles were out of warranty as well. Hmmmmmm. Awful service. This is like my 10th GM SUV. No more.

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2011 Yukon Denali XL also has broken motor mount. Terrible quality GM. Saw these threads. Emailed GMC customer service they said take it into GM dealer for diag before they can determine whether or not GM would help with repair costs. Then called them to let them know that it was at my local GMC dealer. They then changed their mind while they were on the phone with me, before diag had been done, and said they were not willing to help at all. $65 k new. Has 118k miles and THEY told me to take it to GMC dealership. I do so and they then tell me before knowing what's wrong, they won't help. Now I have two $100 diag fees because I listened to GMC customer service. They said they can't help because vehicle out of warranty. Looks like the above vehicles were out of warranty as well. Hmmmmmm. Awful service. This is like my 10th GM SUV. No more.

This is why most of us work on our own stuff. GM is like any other vehicle manufacturer, they aren't going to honor anything outside of warranty if they can help it. I've only taken mine to the dealership once in three years and that's because I didn't have a Tech II. Just steer clear of dealer service, they are there to make money just like the rest of the dealership.

Rick445

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I just returned from my mechanic after a routine oil change and he shows me I have a cracked drivers side motor mount!!!! WTF... I mean seriously GM? You would think they would install a strong enough motor mount for what people use these SUV's for. My mechanic ony works with GMC and Chevy's and he said he is noticing this often.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Oh and cause where it is located, not the cheapest of repairs either..:flamingdevil:

I am on my 3rd broken motor mount on my Tahoe with about 68K miles on it. It's a 4x4 police package. The other one of the same age 2014 also just broke one. We also had a Caprice (2014) brake one. Look's like Ford will be the ultimate winner due to this, so far the Interceptor's are holding up very well.

Turkish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There needs to be a class action suit brought for these Motor mounts and dashes in these vehicles. I sold my 07 Tahoe, it ran through motor mounts too. I have only owned Chevy's. Now in my mid 40's I'm switching to a Toyota. The cost of repairs on the 07 has pushed me away from GM.

BeemerBiker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not a mechanic, just member of the fixit generation. Story: Son#2 got used 4x4 Yukon for use in Colorado. After a year wanted to sell it to Car Max for $14k in Colorado Springs. Son#4 wanted it so we flew to Denver to drive it back. Wheel bearing went out ($475) just before Estes park. This was a roundabout return to Texas. Mechanic advised the driver side mount was broken and recommended both be replaced. Drove back to Texas to fix it. Removed 2nd drive shaft but was not helpful in that area. Cut off aluminum shields to get access to bolt heads and removed from wheel area (wheel and shield removed). Bought after market mounts that had larger holes (thankfully) to make it easier to install as shown here and here. Removed shield housing from after market mount and replaced top shield with easily re-assembled cover using cotter pin as shown here and here. As motor was not perfectly aligned, started all bolts from about 3 finger turns in and then used either ratcheted wrench or socketed 15mm universal impact (socket and universal all 1 piece tool) to slowly tighten each bolt in turn thus drawing the engine closer into the mount location till if finally got into place. Used cotter pins to hold aluminum shield together and test drove: no "thunk" sound any more nor did the engine move up when going forward or backward. Did not attempt the passenger side mount.

Last edited:

Kris8307

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can someone post a link for the motor mounts for my vehicle, 2010 GMC Yukon SLT 2WD. I don't know if I should get oem or aftermarket motor mounts. Which ones are better? Should I stay away from any made in China? Looking for some help

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone post a link for the motor mounts for my vehicle, 2010 GMC Yukon SLT 2WD. I don't know if I should get oem or aftermarket motor mounts. Which ones are better? Should I stay away from any made in China? Looking for some help
I've got aftermarket, less than half the price of the GM part. I've only had it a few months but it seems to be holding up fine. For $40 I'll be happy if it makes it a couple years.

Just go to rockauto.com and find the part number(s) you're looking for based on your vehicle then shop around using that part number.

Kris8307

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got aftermarket, less than half the price of the GM part. I've only had it a few months but it seems to be holding up fine. For $40 I'll be happy if it makes it a couple years.

Just go to rockauto.com and find the part number(s) you're looking for based on your vehicle then shop around using that part number.

Thank you so much NGAneer! Appreciate you!

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried after market blew up in 3 months.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645