Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osidesurfer365

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just returned from my mechanic after a routine oil change and he shows me I have a cracked drivers side motor mount!!!! WTF... I mean seriously GM? You would think they would install a strong enough motor mount for what people use these SUV's for. My mechanic ony works with GMC and Chevy's and he said he is noticing this often.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Oh and cause where it is located, not the cheapest of repairs either..:flamingdevil:

mang213

Reaction score
Yeah I think my drivers side mount is broken too. Bad vibration at idle. Did the "foot on the brake while in drive" test to see if there was a difference left to right and the drivers side of the motor definitely raised up higher when I hit the gas

OP
OP
osidesurfer365

osidesurfer365

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think my drivers side mount is broken too. Bad vibration at idle. Did the "foot on the brake while in drive" test to see if there was a difference left to right and the drivers side of the motor definitely raised up higher when I hit the gas
Yeah when I went to get my car he was in the driver seat and with the hood up and hit the gas and I could see the engine jerk to the right and I freaked out. He assured me I'm safe and the engine is fine. But with only 64 K miles I'm not taking a chance. Getting it fixed next week.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Osidesurfer365,

I'm sorry to hear about the crack in your motor mount. Keep us posted on how the repair goes next week.

Jonathan A.
GM Customer Service

OP
OP
osidesurfer365

osidesurfer365

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Osidesurfer365,

I'm sorry to hear about the crack in your motor mount. Keep us posted on how the repair goes next week.

Jonathan A.
GM Customer Service
I know exactly how it is going to go....I'm going to pay my mechanic $425 to replace it. I went to my local GMC dealership today to get a price comparison and he was very honest with me and said he would charge $500.

On a different note I casually asked him if they are helping customers with cracked dash boards and he said they are splitting the insurance cost with the customer and it will cost me $500 to fix.

Last edited:

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Osidesurfer365,

We understand that you would like to resolve your vehicle issue at a third party company to save you money.

Regarding the cracked dash board concern, each case is unique and we do look at each case on a case by case bases. I cannot guarantee a different result regarding cost assistant but I would like to look into this concern for you. Could you please private message me you full name, address, phone number, VIN, and exact mileage. and preferred dealership?

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
osidesurfer365

osidesurfer365

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

Since I posted my frustration about the broken motor mount, I was contacted by Jennifer at GM customer care. I must say I am very pleased with the end result. The service manager at my local dealership called me today and offered to replace the broken motor mount for around $265. Originally the dealership quoted me at over $500 and my GM mechanic quoted me at $425. I am taking it in on Tuesday and will let you know how it went.

Jennifer is also working with me on my cracked dash. Update on that to follow.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
osidesurfer365,

That makes me very happy to hear that you are pleased with the end result regarding broken motor mount. I am glad I could assist.

Sincerely,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

scottg918514

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I posted my frustration about the broken motor mount, I was contacted by Jennifer at GM customer care. I must say I am very pleased with the end result. The service manager at my local dealership called me today and offered to replace the broken motor mount for around $265. Originally the dealership quoted me at over $500 and my GM mechanic quoted me at $425. I am taking it in on Tuesday and will let you know how it went.

Jennifer is also working with me on my cracked dash. Update on that to follow.

Great price, the mounts cost about $70 aftermarket, so gen GM part should be more. Not a complicated job, but time consuming. You need to remove cv axle on that side (which on mine means removing shock too), remove fender splash shields, lift engine with hoist or jack and removing broken mount. If it was pass side you need to remove starter also.

If they remove cv axle the need to use a new axle nut. Also have them check boots for cracks, replace if they already have it off and there are cracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts