Black plastic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to black is what I use, when I go all out, I'll rub it inside the wheel well on the plastic too.

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think whatever you want to use on your car is just that its your damn car....

Me i like to be able to go to the store and pick up more of whatever I run out of instead of ordering online..

I pay a little more for the stuff I like but I use Meguiars on just about everything I can.

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
If you like hte look/feel of armor all, then by all means go for it.

The REAL problem with armor all isnt so much while you use it, its what happens when you stop using it.

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you like hte look/feel of armor all, then by all means go for it.

The REAL problem with armor all isnt so much while you use it, its what happens when you stop using it.

I've been doing some research on it and found out it actually dries the plastic and could cause it to crack. I'm thinking of tring something new. I will just have to see what we can get up here at Canadian Tire. Oh and never liked the feel of it but then again I dont go feeling my cars ar trucks after I clean them lol. I do like the shine though.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some research on it and found out it actually dries the plastic and could cause it to crack. I'm thinking of tring something new. I will just have to see what we can get up here at Canadian Tire. Oh and never liked the feel of it but then again I dont go feeling my cars ar trucks after I clean them lol. I do like the shine though.

I'd heard that it clogged the pores so it couldn't breath, but whatever the mechanism, I'd heard the same thing, once you start using it you have to keep using it.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have to chime in here. Thumper, I'm glad you've determined this about AA on your own, because it IS terrible stuff.

Sure, anyone can use whatever he likes on his vehicle. Hell, you can you a belt sander for all I care. That's personal preference. What ISN'T personal preference is stating as fact that AA is good, because it's not.

I have a Jeep Wrangler (along with the Tahoe), and spent a few years in a Jeep club when I had the time. You could always tell (and then CONFIRM with the person by talking to him) when someone used AA on his fender flares. They'd be a faded, milky blue/gray color. Completely destroyed. And NOTHING (short of paint) could bring them back. Incidentally, I mistakenly used some on my plastic license plate holder on the Jeep. It's a mess because of it.

My father just had his truck "detailed," and you can see on the plastic mirrors where the detailer used AA. It looks like they used wax on the mirrors. Terrible.

I don't know where economics came into play in this thread, but it has nothing (or very little) to do with it. I use Lemon Pledge on all of my black plastic parts (including my Wrangler's flares, which look brand new still, 12 years later). (I usually don't let people in on the Pledge thing because 1) they tend to not believe that it works, and 2) I don't want their cars looking better than mine. LOL) I bet you have some laying around your house.

Like Ford vs Chevy debates, there will always be debates over Adams vs. Zaino and the like. But those debates tend to be over the preference between established, good products. AA is NOT a good product. It's a downright bad product that is marketed heavily. People use it a few times and see that it does what it's supposed to -- but, over time, it takes its toll.

So, whereas people probably could have been more gentle in telling you that you're crazy for using AA, the point remains the same: you're crazy for using AA. ;)

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I dont even mind if people say something I use sucks as long as they explain why it sucks. Not it sucks use this. That will get my back up every time.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tried the Lemon Pledge on my '98 Ram. The bumper was new last spring so the bumper cover looked ok, but it looks brand new now. The mirrors were fairly milky from being old, and yes, prolly from AA. I worked them over pretty good with the Pledge and they look a lot better. It leaves things nice and black but without the shiny wet look of the AA. Good call. And as and added bonus, my truck now smells lemony fresh. :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts