Black smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antonio757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m going to try to make this as detailed as possible in order to give the background history about my vehicle. I own a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with a 5.3 engine. I’ve been experiencing several different problems but I’ve corrected most of them. It started with a misfire in cylinder 4 and 8. 4 just needed the spark plug replaced but 8 was dead because oil was leaking from my valve cover onto it. I replaced the valve cover gasket and replaced the spark plug. Those issues were resolved. I also had a clog catalytic converter so I’ve replaced the exhaust system with new converters and a magnaflow street performance muffler set up. I also had all the O2 sensors replaced. Now I have black smoke coming from the tailpipe and the fuel efficiency is bad. From what I know this is a bad fuel to airflow mix. It’s also causing bad acceleration, and my truck stall out at low speed or when idle at times. These are what I've replaced so far- fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, and coolant sensor. My fuel injectors are at a steady 55 psi and I’ve sprayed brake cleaner around the intake to reveal if there’s a leak and nothing. Hopefully this give enough information to give me some solid feedback. Thanks in advance!!

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand of O2 sensors? You have any old data to share? Fuel trims, misfire counts etc. yes, I see that you corrected the misfire in 4 &8, but are you sure? Just trying to help, not question your work.

OP
OP
A

Antonio757

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What brand of O2 sensors? You have any old data to share? Fuel trims, misfire counts etc. yes, I see that you corrected the misfire in 4 &8, but are you sure? Just trying to help, not question your work.
It was boush sensors and the code went away after they were replaced.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any obd data like fuel trims?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutely need to see short- and long-term fuel trims, both at idle and about 2k rpm.

Fuel rail pressure when the engine is idling should be in the mid 40s -- say, 43-45 psi. 55 psi when running is way too much. Suspect the fuel pressure regulator, but do a KOEO pressure test.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660