Black Bear Tune!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledlow

Reaction score
I got mine back in April and have pretty much kept it in "SportTCM" due to the fact that it goes like a bat out of hell in this mode...but can someone tell me what the other files do?

87-89OctECM
ModTCM

Also, I installed the Airaid last weekend and need to get some new "scans" so I can get an update. For those of you that have made that transition will I be able to tell a noticeable difference?

TIS, Bryan

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
87-89OctECM is your tune that is used if you wanted to run 87-89 octane. I have a ModTCM file and mine allows me to use my tow/haul button to flip between my Sport tune and my 91 octane tune. When "tow/haul" is engaged I'm in Sport Mode and ready to tear up the pavement :driver: your ModTCM may be the same :shrug:

TahoeTX

Reaction score
Is there much of a difference between the 87 octane and 91 octane tunes? Just trying to decide whether the extra gas cost is worth a 91 oct tune.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For your year vehicle, you should be running a minimum of 89 due to the engine compression.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that the 07+ 5.3's are optimized from the factory for 89 octane. If you want to push timing and make the most power, 91 is where it's at. You'll also get the most mileage benefits, although it won't be a significant increase. My new PCM is supposed to be arriving today (tuned for 91), and I'm leaving on Monday for a 2700 mile trip to Minnesota, Ohio and back. I'll have my computer with me, so I'll report mileage and driveability characteristics from the road.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

For your year vehicle, you should be running a minimum of 89 due to the engine compression.

Jenna beat me to it. Doh.

Last edited:

TahoeTX

Reaction score
Thanks Jenna and Fuzz. I guess I'll step it up to 91 from now on and get my tune to awaken the beast. :)

Vigilant

Reaction score
My '07 PPV did really well on 89. When I first switched to 93 for comparison, it was a slug. Seems like it took it a good hundred miles or perhaps more to really get used to the 93, but now, it does really well on 93. I believe I picked up about 1/2 MPG in the process, but this is before a tune.

I am especially looking forward to disabling that stinking active fuel management.

289NATE

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey JennaBear, this is the same 289nate from some of the Mustang forums. Small world. LOL I have an '08 Yukon Denali XL and an '08 Pontiac G8 GT. For the Denali's 6.2L I'm interested in a daily driving mileage improvement and curious about a towing tune. On the 6.0L in the G8 I'd be interested in a daily driving mileage improvement and a performance tune. What kind of results are you getting from these vehicles in those categories and what octane fuel is needed to see those results. Thanks.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Nate, there may be another JennaBear out there, never been on mustang forums :eek:.

For your Denali you should be running a minimum of 91, on your G8, 87 is fine but 89 is optimal.

Gains will vary based on quite a few factors, drive, engine, mods and gas (octane and quality). We typically see 15-25HP on the Denalis, and 15-20HP on the G8.

Sent from a jelly bean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo